Westminster fast start cools off Urbana, 2-0

Goals by Ridgely, Mullins put halt to Hawks' 4-game unbeaten streak

Girls soccer

October 16, 2001|By Nathan Max | Nathan Max,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

The Westminster girls soccer team took the field for the first time in a week last night, and it appears the respite served them well.

The Owls scored twice in the opening nine minutes to defeat Urbana of Frederick County, 2-0, in a Central Maryland Conference game in Westminster.

Westminster senior midfielder Tirza Ridgely scored her team-leading seventh goal of the season in the sixth minute, and junior midfielder Megan Mullins added a goal three minutes later to end the Hawks' four-game unbeaten streak.

"We've been preparing really hard for this game for the past three practices," Ridgely said. "We came out on fire. We shot out of a cannon, as we like to say."

Urbana (8-2-1, 3-2-1 CMC), which is Washington's fourth-ranked team, played without center midfielder Jessica Failes - the team's second-leading scorer - who was out ill. The Hawks then lost Frederick County's leading scorer, Kathleen Vistica, in the 37th minute, following a reckless tackle.

As Vistica, who has 15 goals and five assists, dribbled down the left flank, junior forward Laura Robinson took her out. Vistica left the game with a sprained ankle and did not return. Robinson was not cautioned on the play, but Urbana coach Brian Parker did receive a yellow card for dissent.

"Westminster beat us physically tonight, and that's the story of the match really," Parker said. "Kathleen is a striker who works her butt off, and she pressures, and she's going to get fouled ... . I'm sure the player wasn't trying to take her legs out from her, but I think a card at that point would have probably set the tone for the match in a more positive way."

Westminster (8-3-1, 2-2-1), which outshot Urbana 13-5, had held a clear edge in play to that point. Afterward, the Hawks were unable to mount any threatening challenges to Owls goalkeeper Carrie Serio.

From the opening minute, the Owls had put pressure on the Urbana net. In the first minute, senior forward Angel Aversa was stopped from close range by sophomore goalkeeper Laura Miller. But five minutes later, Miller could not handle Ridgely's shot from 22 yards out, which bounced off her hands and into the lower right corner. In the ninth minute, Mullins took advantage of a loose ball that Miller could not handle, and fired it into an empty net from 17 yards out.

"We've had some very good games against some very talented teams," Westminster coach Bryan Shumaker said. "Hopefully, we can sustain this effort. Definitely the intensity was there, and we need to match that with each of the other games that may be as big or not as big."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.