Wooden guides Gilman past Calvert Hall, 37-14

QB scores twice, runs for 140 yards in victory


October 14, 2001|By Nathan Max | Nathan Max,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

Gilman junior quarterback Ambrose Wooden showed yesterday afternoon there is pretty much nothing he can't do.

Wooden rushed for 140 yards and a touchdown on nine carries, threw for another touchdown and even completed a pass to himself to lead the fourth-ranked Greyhounds to a 37-14 victory over Calvert Hall before a homecoming crowd of more than 2,000 at Roland Park.

Gilman improved to 4-3 overall, 2-0 in the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference. The Greyhounds' losses have been to DeMatha and Urbana -- the Nos. 1 and 2 teams in the state Associated Press poll -- and to New York private school power Poly Prep.

Wooden, who was taken out after Gilman's first series in the third quarter, opened the afternoon with a 74-yard touchdown on an option keeper to the right side on the game's fourth play from scrimmage.

"We came out here inspired," said Wooden, who finished 5-for-11 for 62 yards and a touchdown passing, but lost 6 yards on his reception. "Everyone was so excited about everything. That run just sparked it off."

Calvert Hall (3-3, 1-2) initially appeared it would march right back. On their first possession, the Cardinals drove 16 plays, earned five first downs and took 6 minutes, 15 seconds off the clock. But they failed to score.

After reaching the Gilman 4, a false-start penalty pushed Calvert Hall back 5 yards, then senior linebacker Malcolm Ruff tackled Calvert Hall running back Matt Eckerl for a 6-yard loss. On fourth-and-goal from the 15, sophomore Jimmy Anastasia missed wide left a 32-yard field-goal attempt.

After the two teams exchanged two punts apiece, Gilman embarked on a four-play, 42-yard scoring drive, capped by a 6-yard touchdown carry by Ruff to move ahead 14-0 with 3:18 left in the half.

Gilman then closed the half with a four-play, 65-yard drive in 46 seconds to take a 21-0 lead. Wooden hit senior wide receiver Napolean Sykes with a 42-yard touchdown with 11 seconds to play.

"That was huge," Wooden said. "Basically, we were trying to get in field-goal range. We called a play, Napolean was open, the line blocked great and we scored."

Gilman then scored on its opening two possessions of the second half to move up 31-0 before coach Biff Poggi cleared his bench midway through the third quarter. With 8:36 left, senior Tilghman Morton kicked a career-long 47-yard field goal, and with 4:51 to play, backup quarterback Bart Weinstein hit Stan White on a 19-yard touchdown.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.