Hungry Carroll helps No. 8 Randallstown chew up Dundalk

Senior's three touchdowns lead Rams to 40-0 victory

High Schools


October 14, 2001|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

In an attempt to keep a promise to his teammates, Randallstown's Bryan Carroll changed his pre-game routine before yesterday's 40-0 rout of visiting Dundalk.

He ate breakfast.

"It was bacon, eggs and potatoes, which I usually don't do because I get nervous before games," said the senior.

Not only did the meal help Carroll to relax, it helped keep him true to his word: score three touchdowns.

The 6-foot, 185-pound Carroll finished with three receptions for 80 yards and two touchdowns, returning a punt - which he blocked - for a third score, and intercepting two passes in a Baltimore County 4A-3A league victory.

Although it was Carroll who had the biggest day receiving, quarterback Tyrell Brown used five different receivers in going 8-for-13 for 162 yards and three touchdowns - one being 17-yarder to Chaz Breeden for a 20-0 first-quarter lead.

It was the third straight shutout for the No. 8 Rams (5-0 league, 5-1 overall), winners of five straight games since a season-opening 26-20 loss in overtime to Eastern Tech.

Randallstown, yet again, got stellar play from its defense, limiting Dundalk to 103 total yards. Tyreki Henderson recovered two fumbles, Randy Vince and Terrence Breaux recovered one fumble each, and Dana Dorsey caused a fumble and broke up a pass for the Rams.

"Taking nothing away from Eastern Tech, but we should have beaten them," said second-team All-Metro player Randy Vince. "We were flat that day, but today, we took a giant step up in intensity."

For Dundalk (3-3, 3-2), Ricky Sobus was taken by ambulance to Sinai Hospital as a precautionary measure after medic Dave Cunningham said he had rib damage.

Randallstown sprinted out to a 6-0 lead after Duwayne Smith raced 70 yards untouched for a score on the opening kickoff. Carroll's block and 30-yard return of a punt for the second score made it 12-0 with 9:56 left in the first period.

With 27 seconds left in the first quarter, Breeden's 17-yard scoring reception, followed by Kermi Alexander's conversion run, made it 20-0.

Interceptions in the second quarter by Dundalk's Keith Barnes and Lamar Heath quelled two promising Randallstown drives inside the Owls' 10. But with 1:40 left in the first half, Carroll's interception and subsequent 55-yard return set up his first scoring reception - of 25 yards - for a 26-0 halftime lead.

After a scoreless third quarter, Daniel Burrell gave Randallstown a 34-0 lead with his 1-yard run. Carroll's 50-yard scoring reception completed the scoring with 5:20 left to play.

The Owls drove to the Randallstown 27 in the first quarter only to fumble to Breaux. In the second period, Dundalk's Jaird Rose broke through the middle and seemed to be all alone at midfield before being dragged down at the Randallstown 40, ending perhaps the Owls' best scoring chance.

Randallstown coach Anthony Knox promised his offensive linemen before the game that he would buy them lunch every day next week if Brown did not get sacked - which he didn't.

"I'm trying to go to a buffet for some all-you-can-eat," Julius Jones said.

No. 9 Old Mill 13, Northeast 0: The Patriots scored a pair of second-half touchdowns on homecoming to outlast the Eagles in a defensive battle at Bob Golliday Memorial Field in Millersville.

Both teams played without key starters and had less than 40 yards of net offense each in a scoreless first half. The Patriots (5-1) prevailed with defense and the punting of Matt Leone to take advantage of good field position in second half. Northeast fell to 4-2.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.