David Foote Jr., 45, warehouse supervisor David Rodney...

Deaths Elsewhere

October 10, 2001

David Foote Jr., 45, warehouse supervisor

David Rodney Foote Jr., a warehouse supervisor for the federal Health Care Financing Administration, died of cancer Friday at his mother's Northwest Baltimore home. He was 45.

Mr. Foote had worked for nearly 12 years as a warehouse supervisor for HCFA at the Social Security Administration complex in Woodlawn. He retired in 1999 because of failing health. Earlier, he had been a truck driver.

Born in Baltimore, Mr. Foote was raised in the Fairfield and Park Heights communities. He was a 1975 graduate of Northwestern High School, where he played basketball. He attended Dundalk Community College and Morgan State University.

Services will be held at 7 p.m. today at Derrick C. Jones Funeral Home, 4611 Park Heights Ave.

He is survived by his wife of 18 years, the former Donna Evans; a son, David Rodney Foote II of Baltimore; a stepdaughter, Lashae Bell of Baltimore; his parents, Lureen and Donald Foote Sr. of Baltimore; two brothers, Donald Foote of Aurora, Colo., and Wayne Foote of Baltimore; three sisters, Rhonda House, Myra Swett and Deborah Foote, all of Baltimore; and several nieces and nephews.

Thomas Nelson Haase, 83, VA psychologist

Thomas Nelson Haase, a retired psychologist, died of pneumonia Saturday at the Multi-Medical Center in Towson. The Timonium resident was 83.

Before his retirement in 1985, he was a counseling psychologist with the Veterans Administration for 30 years, based at its Hopkins Place office in downtown Baltimore.

Born in Baltimore and raised in Howard Park, he was a 1937 graduate of Forest Park High School and the University of Maryland, where he received a degree in education in 1941. He earned a master's de- gree in education from the Johns Hopkins University in 1951.

A volunteer for Oregon Ridge Nature Center, he enjoyed fishing, traveling and woodcarving.

During World War II, he was an Army staff sergeant stationed in the Panama Canal zone.

A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. today at Timonium United Methodist Church, 2300 Pot Spring Road, where he had been a member.

He is survived by his wife of 49 years, the former Josephine Ridgeway; a son, Bruce N. Haase of Rockville; and four grandchildren.

Dr. Clarence E. Dawson, 87, Edgewater dentist

Dr. Clarence Edmund Dawson, a retired dentist who was a sailing enthusiast, died Thursday of lung cancer at his home at South River Park in Edgewater. He was 87.

Dr. Dawson had practiced dentistry in Washington before establishing his practice in Edgewater in 1947. He retired in 1975 and was a past president of the Anne Arundel Dental Society.

He was born and raised in Methuen, Mass., and earned his bachelor's degree from Acadia University in Nova Scotia. He was a graduate of the Harvard University Dental School.

He served in the Navy in dental research from 1941 to 1950, and remained active in the Naval Reserve until being discharged with the rank of captain in 1974.

Dr. Dawson enjoyed cruising the Chesapeake Bay and coastal waters aboard his sailboat, Diana I and later the Diana II. He was a former commodore of the Poplar Island Yacht Club.

He was for many years an avid waterfowl carver and had been a member of the Arundel Carvers Club. He was a member of Davidsonville United Methodist Church.

Services were held Monday.

Dr. Dawson is survived by his wife of 55 years, the former Burnardette "Betty" Goode; a son, Douglas B. Dawson of Edgewater; a daughter, Diana Buzzard of Moundsville, W.Va.; and two grandsons.

Father John M. Comey, 87, Loyola High principal

Father John Martin Comey, a Jesuit priest who taught and served as principal at Loyola High School many years ago, died Oct. 3 of pneumonia at Loyola Infirmary on the grounds of St. Joseph's University in Philadelphia. He was 87.

He was principal at Loyola High from 1947 to 1951, and had taught Latin and English there from 1938 to 1941 - a period that included the school's move from Baltimore to Towson.

Born in Philadelphia, he entered the Society of Jesus at Wernersville, Pa., in 1931. He completed his studies in philosophy and theology at Woodstock College in Baltimore County, where he was ordained a priest in 1944.

He later taught philosophy and theology at St. Joseph's University and worked in the Better World Movement, a Roman Catholic apostolate based in Washington.

A Mass was offered Monday in Philadelphia.

Father Comey is survived by cousins.

Lawrence M. Ricketts Jr., 76, owner of machine shop

Lawrence Merle Ricketts Jr., who owned a machine shop in Woodberry, died Thursday of a heart attack while playing bridge at his home in Indiantown, Fla. He was 76, and a former resident of North Baltimore and Cockeysville.

He was former president of the Poole Foundry and Machine Co., a business his father had purchased in the 1940s. The company made flexible coupling and was once a large employer in the Jones Falls Valley. It closed in the 1980s.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.