Centennial picks Collins to kick past Hebron, 1-0

Eagles win in 79th minute on penalty shot, reach 6-0

Boys soccer

High Schools

October 06, 2001|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,SUN STAFF

Centennial's first penalty kick of the season could not have come at a better time.

And coach Jim Zehe could not have picked a better player to take the shot than Randy Collins, the team's leading scorer, who had missed two good scoring chances earlier in the second half.

Displaying no emotion, Collins booted the penalty kick into the upper right corner of the goal in the 79th minute, giving Centennial a 1-0 victory over No. 7-ranked Mount Hebron and preserving the No. 3-ranked Eagles' undefeated season.

"I didn't know I was taking it," said Collins, whose team is 6-0 overall, 4-0 in league. "But I'm glad I made it, because I was disappointed about the earlier misses. I was also pretty tired and don't know what I'd have done if it went to overtime."

Zehe said he has a bunch of players who are "deadeyes" on penalty kicks, but that Collins has "an even temperament."

Zehe was delighted with the win, yet said he would have been pleased even with a tie because his team played so well. "This was our most complete match of the year, a consistent 80-minute effort."

Collins (five goals, three assists) seemed certain to score with five minutes left when he got in behind Mount Hebron's defense and had only the goalkeeper to beat. But he lost control of the ball and Chris Nemeh made the save. "The ball took a bad bounce," Collins said.

Nemeh made 14 saves for Mount Hebron (7-2, 3-1) in his best effort of the season. He was upset that the officials made the penalty-kick call.

On the play, Centennial's J.R. Test dribbled inside the 6-yard line and shot hard on goal, a ball saved by Nemeh. But Test's heels were clipped by defender Michael Stokes and the call was made.

Mount Hebron coach Mike Linsenmeyer called it "a fair result."

Zehe praised the defensive work of Will Pippen, making his first start as a marking back and stopping Vikings leading scorer Mike Glancey (12 goals).

It was Mount Hebron's second straight loss after its 25-game unbeaten streak (24-0-1) was broken by McDonogh on Wednesday.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.