This time, Severna Park holds off Broadneck, 1-0

Falcons don't allow history to repeat itself

Girls soccer

October 05, 2001|By Edward Lee | Edward Lee,SUN STAFF

The circumstances were the same, but the outcome was different.

In a rematch of last month's Pioneer Shootout, fifth-ranked Severna Park gained the upper hand and held it, outlasting host and No. 12 Broadneck for a 1-0 girls soccer victory in Annapolis last night.

"I thought Broadneck was going to be tough coming in," said Falcons junior back Ashley Dugan. "I thought we could hold them off, and we did."

Three-time defending county champion Severna Park - which improved to 8-1-1 overall and 7-0 in the county - added a win to its string of seven consecutive victories, but not without a little trepidation.

Last month at Anne Arundel Community College, the Falcons let a 1-0 halftime slip away as the Bruins scored a goal in the first minute of the second half and the game ended in a tie.

Last night, Severna Park endured a relentless Broadneck attack in the first 20 minutes of the first half before senior midfielder Erin Dubina gave the Falcons a 1-0 advantage with 17:32 left in the period.

Dubina faked right, drove to her left, and booted the ball from about 25 yards. The ball deflected off the shin of a Bruins defender, changed direction, and skidded into the left side of the net as senior Lori Southard was moving to the right side.

If the Severna Park players had forgotten about what happened in the Pioneer Shootout, coach Gary Lam reminded them at halftime.

"I made them look up at the scoreboard," Lam said. "I said, `Look at the situation we're in again. Let's not have the same result.' "

The Falcons responded by matching Broadneck (6-2-1 overall and 5-2 county) shot for shot and by depending on junior goalkeeper Brooke Shinaberry (seven saves) and the defensive efforts of Dugan, senior Heather Pallett and senior Jessica Reed to seal the victory.

The Bruins' best opportunity occurred with 12:55 left in the game when junior midfielder Jenn Gappert was awarded an indirect kick from about 35 yards.

Her shot curved toward the left post, and junior striker Desiree Colon barely missed connecting with the ball on a diving header.

"We played hard, but we just couldn't put one in," Colon said. "We came back too late."

Broadneck coach Jen Sweeney said she thought her squad played solid soccer throughout - except for the last 20 minutes of the first half.

"I told them that we dominated the first 20 minutes and Severna Park dominated the last 20 minutes," Sweeney said.

"Once they scored on us, it was like they took the air out of our lungs. We deflated."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.