PG County principals reject proposal to skip postseason

Budget cuts blamed in unresolved situation

October 04, 2001|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,SUN STAFF

The Prince George's County Principals' Association yesterday agreed to reject the county's athletic association's recommendation not to participate in any state public school playoffs this academic year.

Responding to a 37 percent athletic budget cut, the 38-member athletic association voted last week to forego postseason play, abolish JV programs and eliminate non-sanctioned state sports.

Some think that the problem has not been solved because it's not clear where the money would come from to participate in the postseason. Prince George's superintendent Iris T. Metts has suggested fund-raising.

"We already do fund-raising, for crying out loud," said Desi Brown, Crossland's athletic director. "The principals don't want to be at odds with their athletic directors and vice versa, but I got the impression in talking with my principal [Evelyn D. Chisholm] tonight that this thing has not been fully resolved and there are still a lot of conditions to be met."

Several athletic directors and coaches have said privately that the principals would not agree to skipping playoffs for fear of parental backlash.

"Prince George's County will go to the playoffs this year," said Dale Castro, High Point's football coach and the former University of Maryland All-American kicker from Southern-Harwood. "Our principal [William Ryan] came back from the meeting in a jovial mood today, so we figured everything would be OK. My athletic director [Ernie Welch] said some things have to be worked out, but that everybody is optimistic."

Welch could not be reached to comment last night, and several county principals did not return phone calls.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.