Knee surgery next on lineup card for O's sidelined Segui

ORIOLES NOTEBOOK

First baseman limited to 82 games

Raines Jr. joins O's, caps wild rise

October 02, 2001|By Roch Kubatko | Roch Kubatko,SUN STAFF

Unable to take the field more than once since Aug. 23, Orioles first baseman David Segui will have arthroscopic surgery on his left knee after the season to correct a problem that's confined him to the dugout for the past 15 games and won't allow him to play during the final week.

It hasn't been determined where the procedure will take place or by which doctor - details that put Segui into a meeting with manager Mike Hargrove, vice president of baseball operations Syd Thrift and trainer Richie Bancells before last night's game.

The discussion was serious enough that Hargrove met with reporters in the hallway for the only time this season while the doors to his office remained closed. Segui wouldn't comment.

"It was something we anticipated for a while," Hargrove said. "He'll get the surgery done and we'll see what it is. I don't think anyone anticipates it being major."

Signed to a four-year, $28 million contract in December, Segui has gone on the disabled list twice and appeared in only 82 games, batting .301 with 10 homers and 46 RBIs. He's also missed games last spring with a strained hamstring, and during the regular season with a sliced tendon in the middle finger of his left hand and an inner-ear infection. He's appeared in five of the past 35 games.

Segui has suggested that the pain in his knee is related to cartilage damage. Hargrove indicated over the weekend that the injury involves a torn capsule.

Meanwhile, the club is deliberating whether catcher Fernando Lunar will need surgery on his left shoulder, a problem that dates to 1997 and flares up late in the season.

Lunar wears an ice pack on the shoulder as part of his pre-game treatment. He hasn't started a game since Sept. 5 in Oakland, with a rare appearance coming Sunday when he caught the last three innings in New York. Lunar was batting .310 on July 5 but has gone 19-for-95 (.200) in his past 37 games.

Raines Jr. makes big time

Needing to add a healthy body to a roster that remains thin despite its expansion, the Orioles pulled Tim Raines Jr. from the Arizona Fall League and had him in uniform for last night's game against the Toronto Blue Jays.

Raines, 22, has repeated Jay Spurgeon's feat from last season of reaching the majors after beginning the season at Single-A Frederick. His contract was purchased yesterday from Triple-A Rochester, where he batted .256 with two homers and 12 RBIs in 40 games.

He batted a combined .274 with nine homers, 55 RBIs and 54 stolen bases in the minors, including a stop at Double-A Bowie, before reporting to Arizona. The son of Montreal Expos outfielder Tim Raines, he had been practicing with the Maryvale Saguaros before receiving a call from Tripp Norton, the Orioles' assistant director of minor-league operations.

"It was a big surprise," said Raines, a sixth-round draft pick in 1998 out of Seminole (Fla.) High. "It's tough to believe. I wasn't sure what to think."

Raines' parents attended last night's game, made possible because the Expos were off. "He was real pumped up," Raines said. "My mom was more excited than I was."

Yesterday's roster move came with Hargrove uncertain about Brady Anderson's status upon arriving yesterday at Camden Yards. Anderson left Saturday's game with a strained quadriceps muscle and didn't play Sunday. He returned to the lineup last night, but Hargrove's outfield remains thin.

Mike Kinkade isn't available because of a sore right wrist, which he jammed while diving into third base Aug. 23 against Tampa Bay. Chris Richard can serve only as the designated hitter because of a sore left shoulder that likely will require surgery after the season.

Melvin Mora's only appearance since Sept. 3 came as a pinch runner on Sunday, with a sore left elbow keeping him out of center field. Jeff Conine remains the regular at first base in Segui's absence. And Larry Bigbie pulled up on the bases in the eighth inning last night, allowing Raines to make his major-league debut in center field.

The Orioles placed Josh Towers on the 60-day disabled list to make room for Raines on their 40-man roster. Towers broke the ring finger on his right hand on Sept. 20.

Friday starter sought

Hargrove said he hasn't decided on a starter to pair with Jose Mercedes for Friday's doubleheader vs. the Boston Red Sox.

Rookie Rick Bauer's next turn falls on Saturday in what's scheduled to be Cal Ripken's final game.

Hargrove indicated that he's narrowed the choices to two pitchers, but wouldn't elaborate. Left-hander John Bale has appeared in 13 games as a reliever, but has experience as a starter.

Around the horn

Pitcher Juan Figueroa cleared waivers and was outrighted to Triple-A Rochester. ... John Wasdin's six strikeouts Sunday were the most in succession by an Orioles' pitcher since Sammy Stewart (seven) on Sept. 1, 1978. ... The Blue Jays still haven't announced a starter for tomorrow's game. The Orioles will send out Jason Johnson. ... Bauer's home ERA is 1.77, compared to 14.29 on the road.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.