Hereford runs away from E. Tech, 33-0

Four rush for more than 50 yards each for Bulls


High Schools

September 29, 2001|By Rich Scherr | Rich Scherr,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

As the seconds ticked down last night, cheerleaders from Hereford High School held up a banner with the question: "Are you ready for Byrd?"

The fifth-ranked Bulls left little doubt about the answer - Byrd Stadium, the site of the state tournament - allowing just four first downs in a 33-0 victory over sixth-ranked Eastern Tech.

In a game expected to produce Baltimore County's 2A-1A League champion, Hereford (4-0 overall, 3-0 league) dominated from start to finish. The Bulls racked up 322 rushing yards on 49 carries, with four different players - Josh Morris (15 carries for 80 yards and two touchdowns), Adam Goloboski (eight for 62 and one TD), Grant Hemmerly (10 for 58 yards) and Patt Butt (seven for 55 and one TD) - gaining at least 50.

"Our line played huge," Bulls quarterback Ryan Shupert said. "[The Mavericks] were supposed to come in here and blow us out, so we couldn't ask for more."

"They're good ... very good," said Eastern Tech coach Bruce Strunk. "I don't think they're 33 points better than us, but they're very good."

With the win, the Bulls extended their county winning streak to 25 and now have outscored opponents this season 190-20.

Despite a big game from running back Broderick Maybank (16 carries for 117 yards), the Mavericks time and again hurt themselves with penalties.

It was a facemask on fourth-and-four, in fact, that kept alive Hereford's first drive, and six plays later the Bulls took a 7-0 lead on Shupert's 10-yard scramble down the right sideline.

"You can't make those kinds of mistakes against Hereford," Strunk said. "Every game I've seen them play, they take advantage."

The Mavericks (3-1, 2-1) were hurt by the loss of starting quarterback Brad Newell, who left after the game's first series with an apparent shoulder injury.

Without Newell, Eastern Tech got no closer than the Hereford 36.

The Bulls led 13-0 at the half, then put the game out of reach by scoring touchdowns on two of their first three possessions of the third quarter, the first on Morris' 32-yard run up the middle.

"That was the biggest game of the season, no doubt, so the rest of the way should be pretty clear for us," Shupert said.

Hereford coach Steve Turnbaugh, however, said there's much work still to be done before any thoughts of a state title.

"There was a lot of hype for this game, but it's only Week 4," Turnbaugh said. "There is a long way to go."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.