River Hill defeats No. 1 Oakland Mills

Hughes' late goal gives No. 3 Hawks a 2-1 victory

Boys soccer

High Schools

September 29, 2001|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,SUN STAFF

Stealing a page from Oakland Mills' book, No. 3 River Hill used a quick counterattack to score with 10:13 left and upset the No. 1-ranked boys soccer team yesterday, 2-1.

Justin Hughes recorded the game-winning goal after passes from Jason Finney and Mo Hamzeh caught the Scorpions off guard.

Hughes beat his lone defender, Glenn Clardy, by cutting the ball to the inside of the field at the 15-yard line and unleashing a left-footed shot past charging goalkeeper Sean McElroy."[Clardy] was getting ready to contain the corner because that's where we tried to go the whole game, but this time I surprised him by cutting it back to the inside," Hughes said.

The play unfolded so quickly that Clardy, a left halfback, had no support from the Oakland Mills fullbacks.

"A year ago Justin might have been caught and not finished that play, but he's a junior now and there's no catching him," said River Hill coach Bill Stara.

The Hawks (3-0-1 overall, 2-0 league) got caught up in Oakland Mills' kick-and-run physical style in the scoreless first half, but gradually wore down the more-athletic but less-skilled Scorpions (0-1-1, 0-1-1) in the second half.

"We didn't come out and play with passion in the first half, but went through the motions because we thought we were better," Stara said. "Once they wore down, we were able to play to our feet more because they kept coming hard but were a step late."

River Hill scored about five minutes into the second half. Hamzeh was involved in setting up the goal when he drove the ball into the corner and shot. The ball came back out and Spencer Hannas scored from 12 yards on a left-footed kick from just inside the near post.

Oakland Mills rallied midway through the second half. River Hill goalkeeper Dave Marquart tried a clearing kick, but the ball hit one of his own players. Clardy then placed a perfect kick in the upper right corner of the goal.

The Scorpions thought they had the tying goal with about five minutes left on a header by Gabe Amponsah off a cross by Clardy. The nearest official signaled a goal, but was overruled by the far official who called interference with the goalkeeper.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.