Secured Yard means no coolers, re-entry

ORIOLES NOTEBOOK

Belongings, movement of fans here to be limited

Segui: no rush for surgery

September 20, 2001|By Joe Strauss | Joe Strauss,SUN STAFF

TORONTO - A battery of security changes will be implemented for the Orioles' 10 remaining home games, including tighter restrictions on fans' movement and what they may bring into Camden Yards, the club announced yesterday.

Beginning with tomorrow night's series opener against the New York Yankees, backpacks, coolers or other container packages will not be allowed into the ballpark.

Nor will fans be allowed to check those items.

Fans also can expect purses and camera bags to be inspected by security personnel upon entrance to the park. The measure is similar to one enacted at Atlanta's Turner Field following the Olympic Park bombing in 1996. (Five years after the fact, the Braves continue the policy.)

No longer may motorists drop off or pick up fans curbside at the park except those transporting disabled fans. And re-entry to the ballpark will no longer be permitted.

"We have complied with all the directives issued by Major League Baseball in the wake of last week's terrorist activities and have enhanced our own longstanding security procedures," Orioles director of ballpark operations Roger Hayden said.

"We have also had several meetings with the Baltimore City Police Department, the Maryland Stadium Authority and all of our partners here at Camden Yards to review and in some instances add to our safety and security measures."

Orioles, Ravens and Maryland Stadium Authority officials met with the Baltimore City Police during the past week to formulate the plan.

Additional uniformed police will be stationed at entrances and on the upper level of the ballpark, according to the Orioles, with additional security posted at various points around the stadium perimeter. The Camden Street and Eutaw Street entrances will be blocked by barriers and access to certain parts of the park will be restricted.

Security has noticeably tightened around SkyDome as well. On Tuesday, Blue Jays first baseman Carlos Delgado was asked to open his vehicle's trunk for examination by police.

"It's totally understandable," Delgado told the Toronto Star. "I don't have a problem with that at all. This is a situation where you can't take anything for granted."

Reporters must also present identification along with allowing bags to be searched. Anyone entering either team's clubhouse - players and coaches included - must also sign a sheet along with his time of arrival. "Ripken ... 3:45" was as mandated as was the arrival of clubhouse attendants and caterers.

The Orioles will be accompanied by a security representative from Major League Baseball for the remainder of the season. Until Monday's charter flight to Toronto, security had not followed the club on the road.

Segui waiting on knee

Orioles first baseman David Segui says he will use the next six to eight weeks to determine if his chronically painful left knee requires off-season surgery, something many within the organization believe has grown from a possibility to a probability.

The switch-hitting Segui now takes batting practice right-handed only. He aggravated the condition by taking a pitch while hitting left-handed in his only appearance since Aug. 23. Segui, 35, and the club continue to classify his availability as day-to-day but he hasn't been used as a pinch hitter this season.

Manager Mike Hargrove approached Segui yesterday about his availability. Segui notified him that he still is uncertain about movements at first base that might torque the knee.

"I guessed that would affect him running the bases, too, and he said yes," related Hargrove.

Though he says he has yet to receive a firm diagnosis, Segui believes he is suffering from a tear of some sort. Several magnetic resonance imagings have failed to reveal an abnormality, he says. At the same time, cortisone injections into the knee have done nothing to alleviate his pain.

"We'll have to wait and see. That's all I can do at this point," Segui said. "It's the same. I'm going to rest it, then make a decision after six to eight weeks."

Segui, in the first season of a four-year, $28 million contract, has undergone three knee operations, two on the left one. He has received only two at-bats since Aug. 23 while missing 14 of the Orioles' past 15 games. He has played only five of the past 27 games, a 6-21 span for his team.

Around the horn

Orioles catcher Geronimo Gil didn't learn until after Tuesday's game that he had been credited with his first major-league hit. His second-inning one-hopper off pitcher Kelvim Escobar was initially scored an error. Gil was notified afterward by assistant director of public relations Kevin Behan of the scoring change. Gil became the seventh Oriole this season to produce his first major-league hit. ... Hargrove's outfield consisted of right-handed hitters Mike Kinkade and Luis Matos last night against Blue Jays right-handed starter Roy Halladay. Brady Anderson, caught in a 2-for-22 skid, rested. Anderson still leads Orioles outfielders with 97 starts, compared to 93 by Chris Richard, 80 by Melvin Mora and 31 by Jeff Conine ... The Orioles have been outscored by only 19 runs combined in the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, ninth and extra innings. They have been outscored by a total of 126 runs combined in the sixth, seventh and eighth innings.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.