Attack forces cancellation of primary elections in N.Y.

Terrorism Strikes America

New York City

September 12, 2001|By NEWSDAY

NEW YORK - Elections were called off around the state yesterday after the devastating attack on the World Trade Center, the first time in memory that a state election was postponed, officials said.

Elections officials said they had no idea when voting would be rescheduled.

The New York City Board of Elections sought a court order delaying the primary about two hours after the attack, and Queens Court Justice Steven Fisher issued the ruling to close polls in the hotly contested races for mayor, public advocate and City Council, as well as other city voting.

Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani told CNN that he and Gov. George E. Pataki jointly made a decision to call off elections.

Board of Elections lawyer Steve Richman, along with other officials in the agency's offices on lower Broadway, said the decision was made because of the "paramount need to protect the health and safety" of voters.

Richman said word was sent to polling sites that elections workers were to lock all voting materials in the machines and close the machine faces to protect the secrecy of voting that had already occurred.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.