Loyola has last word, wins cup

3-0 victory over Mount earns Mason-Dixon title

College Soccer

September 10, 2001|By Glenn P. Graham | Glenn P. Graham,SUN STAFF

Organized in back, sturdy in the middle and opportunistic when necessary up front, Loyola College had the first say in the inaugural Mason-Dixon Soccer Cup this weekend at Towson University.

The Greyhounds jumped on Mount St. Mary's with two first- half goals in the championship game and finished with their second straight 3-0 win yesterday afternoon. On Friday, they got the same result in their tournament opener against Towson.

"I think we got some veteran players that are technically sound, they can knock the ball around a little which helps instead of chasing it all the time, so we're very pleased with the weekend," said Loyola second-year coach Mark Mettrick, who previously coached at Mount St. Mary's.

"I'm extremely happy with having a local tournament. Today, we were a little tense because it was my former school and we knew they would be up for the game. It adds a lot of spice to the college game."

Senior forward John Farese gave the Greyhounds a 1-0 lead when he collected a ball from senior midfielder Arturo Lopez and won the right side, beating Mount keeper Brian Crum at the near post in the 18th minute. Minutes later, Graham Marchant took advantage of space on the left side, finishing from 15 yards out for a 2-0 lead.

The Mount rarely had numbers in its offensive third and was unable to take advantage of its few opportunities. The Loyola forwards did well to pressure up front, forcing the Mount to play long balls into the Greyhounds' strength - a composed defense led by Niall Lepper.

After opening the season with a 4-0 loss to California and then getting a 2-2 draw against Cal State- Fullerton, the Greyhounds' defense felt it had something to prove this weekend.

"After the tournament out in California, we didn't play very well. It wasn't so much the defense's fault, just the whole team, but we got together as a defense and said we really need to step it up - this isn't us at all and I think we really did that in this tournament," said Loyola keeper Reb Beatty.

Junior forward Juliano Adriano de Oliveira, named the tournament's Most Valuable Player, scored for the second straight game to make it 3-0 in the second half.

"This is very important because we want to show everyone else we're the best in Baltimore. It was a great win, start here at home and then go from there. We want to be No. 1 in Maryland, so next time we play [University of] Maryland, if we beat them we'll be No. 1 in Maryland," he said.

Navy (3-1) took third place with a 1-0 overtime win against Towson (2-2) in the consolation game.

Senior Justin Fishburn took a feed from Bobby Cherneski on the left side and finished from 14 yards out in the game's 100th minute.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.