Audrey Lee Schulmeyer, 66, registered nurse Audrey Lee...

September 09, 2001

Audrey Lee Schulmeyer, 66, registered nurse

Audrey Lee Schulmeyer, a registered nurse and former assistant nursing supervisor who worked with residents of the Maryland School for the Blind for more than three decades, died of cancer Wednesday at the Gilchrist Center for Hospice Care in Towson. She was 66.

Mrs. Schulmeyer, who lived in Fallston, retired in 1996 from the School for the Blind, where she had been a nurse since 1966.

"She worked with the severely mentally retarded and multi-handicapped, and these kids were near and dear to her heart," said Eileen C. Wagner, nursing supervisor. "She was highly organized, well-liked by both the students and staff. She was very dedicated to the school and its students."

Audrey Lee Fink was born and raised in Northeast Baltimore and graduated in 1952 from the Institute of Notre Dame. She earned her nursing degree from St. Joseph's College in Maine.

She was married in 1957 to Raymond M. Schulmeyer, now a retired Westinghouse Electric Corp. engineer.

Mrs. Schulmeyer enjoyed visiting Walt Disney World every three years with her family and entertaining and decorating her home for the holidays.

She had been a communicant of St. Michael the Archangel Roman Catholic Church in Overlea.

A Mass of Christian burial was offered yesterday at St. Mark's Roman Catholic Church in Fallston.

In addition to her husband, she is survived by a son, Raymond M. Schulmeyer; two daughters, Dr. Mary "Tessie" Behrens of Ellicott City and Judith Anne Hutson of Marley Park; a sister, Marcie Herpel of Baltimore; and five grandchildren.

Nell Osborne Willis, 84, registered nurse, veteran

Nell Osborne Willis, a retired registered nurse and World War II veteran, died Wednesday of pneumonia at Eastpoint Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Dundalk. The longtime Northeast Baltimore resident was 84.

During World War II, as a member of the Women's Army Corps, Miss Willis was a nurse assigned in Norfolk, Va., and Des Moines, Iowa.

At the end of the war, she moved to Baltimore and became a nurse at Baltimore City Hospitals. Later, she was a staff nurse at Johns Hopkins Hospital and held nursing positions at several Baltimore nursing homes. At the time of her retirement in the 1980s, she was a nurse at Gould Convalesarium in Northeast Baltimore.

Miss Willis was born and raised in Shelby, N.C., and was a graduate of Belwood High School. She received her early nursing training at Shelby High School and earned a bachelor's degree in nursing in 1950 from the University of Virginia School of Nursing.

She was a communicant of St. Michael the Archangel Roman Catholic Church in Overlea.

At Miss Willis' request, no services will be held.

She is survived by a brother, Charles Burgin Willis of Charlotte, N.C.; a sister, Virginia Clark of Baltimore; and several nephews and nieces.

Eugene C. Hudspeth, 85, helped build Liberty ships

Eugene C. Hudspeth, a retired glazier and welder who helped build Liberty ships during World War II, died Tuesday of cancer at his Glen Burnie home. He was 85.

Mr. Hudspeth was a member of the International Brotherhood of Painters and Allied Trades, Council 51, Local 963, and had worked for Pittsburgh Plate Glass Co., Washington Plate Glass Co. and Kaplan Bros. Glass Co. He retired in 1982.

Born and raised in Beason, Ill., he was a 1934 graduate of Beason High School. He served in the Navy as a yeoman from 1934 until 1938, when he was discharged.

During World War II, he moved to Baltimore, where he worked at Bethlehem Steel's Fairfield and Key Highway shipyards as a welder constructing Liberty ships.

He was an avid duckpin bowler and a member of a Linthicum bowling team.

Mr. Hudspeth was a former member and trustee of Brooklyn United Methodist Church, where he had been president of the Men's Bible Class.

He was married in 1943 to the former Minnie Markel, who survives him.

He was a member of Messiah United Methodist Church, 7401 Furnace Branch Road, Glen Burnie, where a memorial service will be held at 3 p.m. Sept. 16.

In addition to his wife, Mr. Hudspeth is survived by two sons, Gerald R. Hudspeth of Anchorage, Alaska, and Forrest C. Hudspeth of Woodbine; a daughter, Wendie Bergendahl of Meadville, Pa.; a brother, Howard Hudspeth of Fort Cloud, Fla.; and five grandchildren.

Michael Joseph Manley, 77, insurance attorney

Michael Joseph Manley, an attorney for State Farm Insurance Co. for more than 30 years, died Sept. 2 of pancreatic cancer at Stella Maris Hospice in Timonium. The longtime Cockeysville resident was 77.

A Cumberland native, Mr. Manley graduated from LaSalle High School in 1941 and received a scholarship to St. John's College in Annapolis. He enlisted in the Navy a year later, serving overseas in World War II.

Mr. Manley resumed his studies after the war, graduating from the University of Maryland School of Law in 1950. He began working as an in-house attorney for State Farm soon afterward and stayed with the company until his retirement in the mid-1980s.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.