Storrie, Dulaney drop loss on No. 4 Westminster, 1-0

No. 13 Hereford finishes in tie with No. 12 Wright

Field hockey

September 08, 2001|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,SUN STAFF

Caroline Storrie made Dulaney's field hockey opener one to remember yesterday as the senior wing scored the only goal of the game to upset No. 4 Westminster, 1-0.

The unranked Lions, co-champions in Baltimore County last season, broke through with 9:30 left in the match. On an assist from Lexi Glaeser, Storrie slapped a shot past host Westminster's All-Metro goalkeeper Emily Chamelin.

"This is a big win," said Lions first-year coach Diana Weinapple. "Starting off a new season with a win against a ranked team and a team they haven't beaten in a while encourages the girls and makes them realize that they are capable of playing with teams of that caliber."

The Owls (1-1) dominated the first half but could put nothing past a Lions defense led by Kara Parker and Saranne Perman. Dulaney goalie Laura Kay made seven saves.

No. 12 C. Milton Wright 1, No. 13 Hereford 1: In reactions rare for a tie after two overtimes, players for both sides said their teams felt good about the outcome.

"This is a good tie," said Stacy McNamee, who scored C. Milton Wright's goal. "After our loss on Wednesday [3-0 to unranked River Hill], we needed to come back and get some confidence. This was a great game. Both teams played their hardest."

McNamee's goal came on a breakaway after a Bulls defender ran past the ball in the circle without getting her stick on it, leaving the Mustangs senior with no one in front of her except goalie Christina Restivo. McNamee fired into the far corner to tie the score.

"That goal empowered them the rest of the game," said Hereford coach Tammy Mundie. "I don't think we lost anything. I just think we were playing against a much stronger team after that."

The host Bulls (0-1-1) dominated the early going, getting on the board 13 minutes into the half. In a dust-bowl skirmish in the circle, Samantha Sebastain sent a pass across the circle to Taylor Salditch for the goal.

Hereford, which had a 14-1 advantage in penalty corners during regulation, had the upper hand in the first 10-minute seven-on-seven overtime period. The Bulls took four shots, but the Mustangs (0-1-1), behind keeper Kara Angelo, saved every one.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.