Troy Lee Anderson, 64, Bethlehem Steel worker Troy Lee...

September 07, 2001

Troy Lee Anderson, 64, Bethlehem Steel worker

Troy Lee Anderson, a retired Bethlehem Steel worker, died Monday of cancer at Stella Maris Hospice at Mercy Medical Center. He was 64 and lived in Northwest Baltimore.

He retired last year from Bethlehem Steel Corp., where he had worked for 22 years.

Born in Kinston, N.C., he was a graduate of Adkins High School there.

He enjoyed gardening in his Lauretta Avenue front yard.

Funeral services will be held at 11:30 a.m. tomorrow at Pleasant Rock Baptist Church, 1099 Scott St., where he was a member.

He is survived by his wife of 14 months, the former Kim Charity Amy of Baltimore; a son, Antoine Hicks of Baltimore; four daughters, Vida Cheryl Anderson and Mary Anderson, both of Dover, Del., Troie Lynnette Anderson of Baltimore and Rita Ann Whitfield of Kinston, N.C.; a stepdaughter, TeLayia M. Black of Baltimore; a sister, Dorothy Mae Anderson of Kinston, N.C.; and 11 grandchildren.

Frank Jerome Sauter, 88, aircraft engineer

Frank Jerome Sauter, who worked for nearly a half-century as an aircraft engineer, died of cancer Tuesday at Stella Maris Hospice in Timonium. He was 88 and lived in the Idlewylde section of Baltimore County.

Mr. Sauter worked at the former Glenn L. Martin Co. - now Lockheed Martin - in Middle River from 1940 to 1977, and retired from Boeing Vertol Corp. of Philadelphia in 1987. He specialized in helicopter design and had designed World War II military aircraft.

Born in Rochester, N.Y., where he attended Thomas Aquinas High School, he moved to Baltimore in the late 1930s.

He grew azaleas in his home garden and distributed them as prizes at church bazaars and other events. He also was a woodworker.

Mr. Sauter held the rank of life member and was a two-time exalted ruler of the Towson Elks Lodge. He also led Cub Scout and Boy Scout troops in Idlewylde.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 11 a.m. today at St. Pius X Roman Catholic Church, York and Overbrook roads in Rodgers Forge, where he was a member.

He is survived by his wife of 63 years, the former Pauline Sweeney; two sons, Frank Bruce Sauter of Greenville, N.C., and Robert W. Sauter of Memphis, Tenn.; and five grandchildren.

Finbarr J. Murphy, 74, customs official, veteran

Finbarr J. Murphy, a retired U.S. Customs official and Navy veteran of World War II, died of heart failure Monday at his Reisterstown home. He was 74.

Mr. Murphy was special agent in charge of investigation at the U.S. Customs office in Baltimore at his retirement in 1980.

From 1950 to 1958, when he joined the Customs Service, Mr. Murphy was a New York City police officer and later a detective. He served as agent in charge in Buffalo, N.Y., from 1967 until moving to Reisterstown in 1970, when he was assigned to the federal Drug Enforcement Administration in the Justice Department until 1973.

Born and raised in New York's Bronx, he earned a bachelor's degree in history in 1950 from Iona College in New Rochelle, N.Y. During World War II, he served with the Navy's Seabees, constructing airfields, buildings, docks and harbors in the Pacific.

He was an avid golfer and a member of the Westminster Elks and Reisterstown Moose, American Legion Post 116, the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the Fraternal Order of Eagles.

He was a communicant of Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church in Glyndon, where a Mass was offered yesterday.

Survivors include his wife of nearly half a century, the former Mary Corine Devlin; four sons, Finbarr C. Murphy and Daniel Murphy, both of Hampstead, Richard Murphy of Catonsville and Dennis Murphy of Martinsburg, W.Va.; a daughter, Corine Schuster of Westminster; a brother, Richard E. Murphy of the Bronx; two sisters, Margaret Farrell of Chicago and Eileen Breen of Mount Vernon, N.Y.; and 13 grandchildren.

Gertrude Smith Wharton, 90, church volunteer

Gertrude Smith Wharton, a Walbrook church volunteer and retired Western Electric Co. worker, died Saturday of pneumonia at Frederick Villa Nursing Home in Catonsville. She was 90 and had lived in Northwest Baltimore.

In 1974, after more than 30 years with the company, she retired from Western Electric's Point Breeze Works, which manufactured telephone cable and other phone-related items.

She had been a member for 45 years of St. Cecilia Roman Catholic Church, where she was vice president of the Ladies of Charity from 1981 until her death. She served on her parish's liturgy and social life committees and was a lector and Eucharistic minister. In 1991, she was awarded the St. Cecilia Black Hero Award.

She also joined the Walbrook Vicinity Churches Assistance Ministry to help the neighborhood's poor. A religious pilgrim, she often visited shrines dedicated to the Virgin Mary.

Born in Baltimore, Gertrude Smith was raised in Northwest Baltimore. She was a graduate of St. Frances Academy.

In 1942, she married William H. Wharton, and the couple lived for many years on Mondawmin Avenue. Her husband died in 1970.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.