Maxine R. Mullican, 87, Kidney Fund founder Maxine R...

September 03, 2001

Maxine R. Mullican, 87, Kidney Fund founder

Maxine R. Mullican, the founder and longtime president of the Howard County Kidney Fund, died Tuesday of congestive heart failure. She was 87.

A resident of the Ellicott City area for 63 years, Mrs. Mullican discovered that Howard County lacked essential services for kidney patients in 1972, when her 28-year-old son Jerry, who died in 1974, developed kidney disease. She organized a transportation network and many other services through the Kidney Fund, which she created, said her daughter, Jo-Ann Weber of Cub Hill.

Mrs. Mullican was a naturally gifted fund-raiser and organizer, her daughter said.

"She didn't have any formal training. She just did it," Mrs. Weber said. "We were all quite proud of her."

Born in Frederick County, Maxine Rice moved to Baltimore as a child and graduated from Southern High School. She worked downtown at S&N Katz jewelry store, before meeting her husband, Jean F. Mullican, at a wake for her great-aunt. The couple were married in 1936 and settled outside Ellicott City two years later.

While raising her family, Mrs. Mullican taught herself shorthand. In the 1960s, she became secretary of the Howard County Planning Commission, a job she held until 1975.

When her son became ill, Mrs. Mullican discovered that the closest dialysis unit was at Baltimore's Johns Hopkins Hospital, and that many Howard County residents had no way to get there. She organized a group of volunteer drivers, then began raising money for other services.

Mrs. Mullican organized "constant fund-raisers," her daughter said. When Howard County's first dialysis center opened in Columbia in 1992, it was named the Maxine Mullican Dialysis Unit.

An avid bridge player, Mrs. Mullican organized a bridge club at Vantage House, a Columbia retirement residence, after she and her husband moved there in 1999.

At 62 she took up golf, and loved the game so much that her children placed a golf ball in her folded hands before her funeral Saturday at the Church of the Resurrection in Ellicott City, Mrs. Weber said.

In addition to her husband and daughter, she is survived by three other children, James R. Mullican of Springfield, Va., Jeannie M. Rooney of Ellicott City and Judith M. Weith of Montgomery, Texas; 12 grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren.

C. Randall Keller, 86, land acquisitions chief

C. Randall Keller, a former land acquisitions chief for Baltimore County and dedicated Shriner, died of cancer Tuesday at Gilchrist Center for Hospice Care in Towson. He was 86.

Born in Bellefonte, Pa., Mr. Keller graduated from Pennsylvania State University in 1938 and moved to the Baltimore area in 1942 to work at the Glenn L. Martin Co., an aircraft manufacturer, in Middle River during World War II. He stayed with the company until 1947, when he opened a residential real estate business in Essex.

Mr. Keller married his college sweetheart, Margaret Warneka, in 1943, and the couple moved to Perry Hall in 1953.

In 1965, Mr. Keller sold his real estate business and went to work for Baltimore County's land acquisitions office. He retired as its supervisor in 1983.

Mr. Keller joined the Boumi Temple Shrine in 1954. As potentate of the temple in the 1970s, he founded its string band and color guard. He also served as the marshal at several Shriner parades.

Mr. Keller was also a master Mason in the Joppa Lodge and a past president of the Essex Kiwanis Club.

Services were held Friday.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by a son, Randall Lloyd Keller of Baltimore; a daughter, Margo Lynn Krug of Naperville, Ill.; and eight grandchildren.

Troy V. Lewis, 79, union leader, counselor

Troy V. Lewis, a former steelworkers union leader and drug abuse counselor who was active in the Baptist church, died in his sleep Thursday of complications of arteriosclerosis at his Forest Park home. He was 79.

Born in Darlington County, S.C., the fifth of 14 children, Mr. Lewis moved to Baltimore with his family at age 4. He attended Frederick Douglass High School, but before graduating joined the Navy when the United States entered World War II.

As a Navy coxswain, he saw combat in the Atlantic Theater, family members said. He received a naval graduation certificate from Hampton Institute in Virginia, now Hampton University, and was honorably discharged in 1946.

Mr. Lewis worked for Revere Copper and Brass Co. until 1971, at one point serving as president of the United Steelworkers Union local there.

When Revere closed, Mr. Lewis became a senior psychiatric counselor with the city Health Department, specializing in drug and alcohol abuse counseling. He retired in 1985.

After the death of his first wife, Geneva Lewis, he married Bernice Branford in 1959.

Mr. Lewis was an active member of Macedonia Baptist Church, where he was ordained a deacon in 1977. A tenor whose favorite hymn was "Oh, to be Kept by Jesus," he sang in the church choir and directed the men's chorus.

In the 1980s, he became president of the Layman's League of the statewide United Baptist Missionary Convention, and headed that organization for 10 years, his wife said.

Services will be held at 7 p.m. tomorrow at Macedonia Baptist Church, 718 W. Lafayette Ave.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by a daughter, Barbara Lewis; a stepdaughter, Renee Spruill Brooks; three sisters, Mae Cofield, Garnetta Cofield and Glenda Favar; three brothers, Roosevelt, Irvin and Isaiah Lewis; 14 grandchildren; and 13 great-grandchildren. All are of the Baltimore area.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.