Man arrested in Wendy's robbery attempt

Police think suspect eluded them by hiding in restaurant's ceiling

September 01, 2001|By Tim Craig | Tim Craig,SUN STAFF

A man who police believe eluded capture after attempting to rob a Lansdowne Wendy's Sunday by hiding in the restaurant's ceiling was arrested yesterday when officers found him hiding in a bedroom in Pimlico.

Bill Toohey, a Baltimore County police spokesman, said the Warrant Apprehension Task Force arrested Craig Eferm Lewis, 31, about 9 a.m. at a house in the 400 block of W. Garrison Ave.

Toohey said police received a tip that Lewis, of the 2700 block of Pelham Ave. in Northeast Baltimore, had been staying at the Garrison Avenue address.

Police found Lewis in a bedroom after the homeowner agreed to let officers search the house, Toohey said.

Lewis is charged with two counts each of armed robbery and first-degree assault, and one count of using a handgun in the commission of a violent crime.

He was being held at the Wilkens Precinct last night while awaiting a bail hearing.

Police say two men detained two Wendy's employees during a robbery attempt about 9 a.m. Sunday.

Police quickly surrounded the restaurant and arrested Wayne McFadden, 27, after he tried to elude them by pretending to be a hostage. McFadden was charged with one count of attempted armed robbery and a handgun violation.

Polie think Lewis avoided tactical officers, who stormed the restaurant, by hiding in the ceiling.

The next day, a Wendy's employee spotted a man, who police think was Lewis, walking out of the restaurant about 10 a.m. with pieces of drywall in his hair. The employee then discovered a hole in the bathroom's ceiling.

"Based on information gathered from him and the witnesses, we believe he was hiding in the ceiling," Toohey said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.