Dentist, store sued over prescription

May 25, 2001|By Dennis O'Brien | Dennis O'Brien,SUN STAFF

A Baltimore couple have filed a $7 million suit against a Parkville dentist and Giant Food Inc., alleging that their daughter suffered a drug overdose when her prescription was mishandled.

In their suit, filed in Baltimore County Circuit Court, Michael and Mary Heid say Dr. Nancy McClear meant to prescribe six teaspoons of a sedative during a 1997 office visit but mistakenly prescribed six tablespoons, three times the recommended dose for children.

As a result, Lauren Heid fell into a deep sleep for 24 hours and had to be rushed to St. Joseph Medical Center, the suit says.

McClear wrote the prescription for chloral hydrate during an office visit in November 1997 because Lauren, then 6, was frightened about getting fillings.

Mary Heid gave her daughter the medication before a follow-up appointment two weeks later. Lauren then went into a deep sleep, and six hours later she partially awakened and began vomiting. Her mother then called the Giant store in the 8100 block of Loch Raven Blvd., where she had picked up the prescription, the suit says.

An employee at the pharmacy checked with McClear and told Mary Heid to take her daughter to a hospital, according to the suit.

Barry Scher, a Giant Food spokesman, declined to comment on the suit yesterday.

McClear referred questions to her lawyer, Andrew Vernick, who said McClear admits the mistake. But he argued that the child slept through most of the incident.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.