Taking time, Mt. Hebron reaches top

After long rain delay, Vikes finish off S. River for the state title, 19-6

3A-2A girls lacrosse

May 23, 2001|By Stan Rappaport | Stan Rappaport,SUN STAFF

Before the second half could start in yesterday's Class 3A-2A state girls lacrosse championship at UMBC, lightning and heavy rain forced Mount Hebron and South River to spend an extended time in their locker rooms.

Their thoughts were clearly on the weather, and whether the game would be postponed and rescheduled from the start a day later.

"We were hoping they would end the game," said South River's Jackie Colacicco, whose team trailed 13-1 at halftime. "We were hoping we would be able to come out tomorrow [today] and start over again."

Said Mount Hebron's Kristen Waagbo: "We were willing to stay here for as long as it took to finish the game."

After a delay of 1 hour, 43 minutes, the rain stopped for the 25-minute second half. Mount Hebron didn't. The top-ranked Vikings scored four of the first five second-half goals and rolled to a 19-6 victory, their fifth straight state title and ninth in the past 10 years.

And unlike last season, when the Vikings' state championship game against Glenelg was called with 4:42 remaining because of lightning and they were sent directly to their bus, Mount Hebron received its trophies in front of its drenched but enthusiastic fans.

"It's definitely better this year," said Waagbo, who had all three of her goals and assists in the first half. "I think we deserved to actually finish the game and have fun celebrating at the end."

Teammate Stephanie Scurachio, who had two goals and three assists, agreed: "The most fun about states is the closure to the season, and we really didn't have that last season. This means a lot. We've had such a great season, and we do need that closure."

Mount Hebron (17-1-1), which started only one senior and will return 14 of 15 players in its starting rotation next season, took away South River's transition game in the first half and got excellent goaltending from Cindy Nicolaus. Melissa McCarthy also had three of her team-high four goals in the first half.

"We played a great first half," Robinson said, "maybe the best first half we've had all year."

South River (15-4), making its fourth tournament appearance but first in the final, played three goalies in the first half and never got into game until the second half.

"I'm very disappointed because we're a better team than this," said Colacicco, a senior who had two goals and two assists. "We played them tough two years ago [a 9-6 loss in the semifinals], and we're a much better team this year. "

South River coach Kim McNemar said her team had never played an opponent like Mount Hebron, that's "all over you all the time." But she added that the Seahawks showed better in the second half.

Goals: MH -- McCarthy 4, Waagbo 3, Long 3, L. Dutch 2, Bosica 2, Ch. Nicolaus, McGowan, Barnes; SR -- Colacicco 2, Long, Hogan, Cunningham, McFadden. Assists: MH -- Waagbo 3, Scurachio 3, Bosica 2, L. Dutch; SR -- Colacicco 2, Hogan, Cline. Saves: MH -- Ci. Nicolaus 6, Greenbaum 3; SR -- Heup 4, Lazarus 6. Half: MH, 13-1.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.