Gilman has last word in OT, 5-4

No. 1 Greyhounds top No. 2 Boys' Latin on quick Weinstein goal

High Schools

May 09, 2001|By Kevin Van Valkenburg | Kevin Van Valkenburg,SUN STAFF

No. 1 Gilman and No. 2 Boys' Latin struggled for 48 minutes yesterday to come up with an answer to the most important boys lacrosse question of the year: Which team truly deserved to call itself the best?

As it turned out, only overtime could provide the answer, with Gilman attackman Morgan Weinstein scoring just 12 seconds into the extra period to give the Greyhounds a thrilling, 5-4 victory at Boys' Latin and a sweep of the Lakers.

It was Gilman's ninth straight win.

"It's always a big game when we get together," Weinstein said. "We've been working so hard this week and we knew it was going to be close. We feel like we really deserve this one."

Gilman (11-3) came in no stranger to the nail-biter. The victory was the Greyhounds' sixth one-goal victory of the year, including an 8-7 win over Boys' Latin (13-3) at the beginning of the season.

Boys' Latin looked as if it had found a way to break through Gilman's vaunted defense in the first half, taking a 3-1 lead during a frenetic second period.

Sharpshooting junior Ian Loizeaux scored twice in less than a minute, and attackman Mike Cheek added a goal on a beautiful pass from teammate Bobby Griebe. Riding a wave of momentum, it looked as if the Lakers might blow the game open before halftime.

But Greyhounds goalie Richard Thomas, only a sophomore, fully understood what was at stake and all but took over for Gilman. Peppered with Lakers shots, he stopped every one as his team climbed back into the game.

"The difference in the game was really that their goalie just came up huge," said Boys' Latin coach Bob Shriver. "We had a ton of shots at him and he just kept coming up huge. There's not much more to say."

J.D. Nelson, one of the few players returning from Gilman's 16-1 championship team last season, scored twice in the third period to even things at 3.

The teams traded goals at the start of the fourth, but neither could gain a distinct advantage before time ran out in regulation.

"We told our guys at the start of overtime, if we win the faceoff, call time out," Allan said. "Luckily, that's not what happened."

What happened, happened like lightning. Nelson poked the ball loose on the faceoff and Greyhounds defenseman Chappy Gould quickly scooped it up and fired it to Weinstein, who stuffed it into the net for win.

"It was just one of those boom, boom quick plays," Weinstein said. "We wanted to come at them hard at the end and make something happen. This gives us a lot of momentum going into the playoffs. We're going to be ready to go."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.