Margaret Lee Dyer Bishop, 81, homemaker Margaret Lee...

April 27, 2001

Margaret Lee Dyer Bishop, 81, homemaker

Margaret Lee Dyer Bishop, a homemaker who had a flair for arranging flowers, died Monday of an infection at Gilchrist Center for Hospice Care in Towson. She was 81 and lived in Murray Hill.

Mrs. Bishop was a charter member of the Woodbrook-Murray Hill Garden Club, and she relished taking part in the Flower Mart in Mount Vernon, said her son, Alexius Owen Bishop of Baltimore.

Born in Delight, Baltimore County, Margaret Lee Dyer was a 1939 graduate of the now-defunct Mount St. Agnes High School in Mount Washington. In 1940, she married John Owen Bishop, a building contractor who died in 1989.

They had four children, and Mrs. Bishop spent summers with the children in Ocean City. Her youngest son, Todd Christopher Bishop, died in his teens.

A funeral Mass for Mrs. Bishop will be offered at 11 a.m. today at the Lady Chapel of the Roman Catholic Cathedral of Mary Our Queen, 5300 N. Charles St., where she was a founding member.

She is also survived by two daughters, Barbara Ann Wilson of Baltimore and Brendy Melinda Esmond of Vienna, Va.; a brother, Alexius A. Dyer of Baltimore; two sisters, Patricia Dyer Smith and Sherry Dyer Smith, both of Bel Air; and six granddaughters.

Noel Speir Cook, 95, Maryland legislator

Noel Speir Cook, a retired attorney and former Maryland legislator, died Monday of kidney failure at Vantage House retirement community in Columbia, where he had lived since 1996. He was 95.

Mr. Cook, an Allegany County Republican, was elected to the House of Delegates in 1947 and served under five governors -- William Preston Lane, J. Millard Tawes, Theodore Roosevelt McKeldin, Spiro T. Agnew and Marvin Mandel.

For years, he was a member of the Judiciary Committee.

In 1969, he was appointed by Governor Agnew to fill a state Senate vacancy. He retired in 1970.

Mr. Cook had served as town attorney for Lonaconing and Frostburg, and had a general law practice in Cumberland from which he also retired in 1970.

After retiring, the longtime Frostburg resident moved to Sun City, Ariz., then to Annapolis in 1985.

The Frostburg native earned a bachelor's degree from what is now Frostburg State University in 1924 and a law degree from the University of Maryland in 1930.

He was a past president of the Allegany County Bar Association and a member of the Maryland Bar Association.

He was a 32nd-degree Mason and belonged to several civic groups, including the Elks and the Ali Gahn Shriners of Cumberland.

He was a former member of St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Frostburg.

In 1935, he married Anna Ruddle, who survives him.

"He enjoyed sipping martinis, playing gin rummy and reading," his wife said.

Services were held yesterday.

Mr. Cook also is survived by several nephews and nieces.

David Michael Kraus, 56, policeman, scale technician

David Michael Kraus, a former Baltimore police officer and commercial scale technician, died Saturday of a heart attack outside his home in New Windsor. He was 56.

Known to friends as Mike, Mr. Kraus was a police officer from 1969 to 1979, first in the Northern District and then with the narcotics division. In 1971, the Greater Govans Community named him officer of the year for helping to end a rash of purse snatchings.

He left the police force frustrated by persistent crime. "It didn't seem like they were getting anywhere, just beating your head against the wall," said his wife of 28 years, the former Lillian Davis.

From 1964 to 1969, Mr. Kraus was a mechanical technician for Johnson Control Inc. After leaving the Police Department, he worked at Goose Harbor Yacht Club in Essex for two years. Since 1981, he had worked at Loadometer Corp. in Essex.

Born in Baltimore, he was a 1964 graduate of Polytechnic Institute. He served in the Army Reserves from 1965 to 1971.

An avid golfer, he had planned to retire to Myrtle Beach, S.C.

Services were held Wednesday.

He is also survived by his mother, Kathryn Eichhof, and stepfather, Frank Eichhof, both of Westminster; and a brother, Kurt Kraus of Finksburg.

Frank W. Carman, 82, bank vice president

Frank W. Carman, who started as a bank teller at the Savings Bank of Baltimore and retired as executive vice president, died April 20 of lung cancer at the Gilchrist Center for Hospice Care in Towson.

The longtime Towson resident was 82.

The day after he graduated from City College in 1937, Mr. Carman joined the downtown bank at Baltimore and Charles streets as a $15-a-week "runner," part-time switchboard operator and helper at the Check Desk. Over the years, he moved up to various executive positions and was named executive vice president of investments in 1975.

"I considered myself very fortunate to land a job that quickly when the country was still in the throes of the Depression," he said in the bank's employee newsletter when he retired in 1984.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.