Gilman tops No. 1 Loyola

Wilson's late goal lifts No. 3 Greyhounds to upset of Dons, 12-11

Boys lacrosse

High Schools

April 25, 2001|By Mike Frainie | Mike Frainie,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

Luke Wilson, an attackman at No. 3-ranked Gilman, has a nose for the net.

So maybe it was his nose that led the sophomore to the front of the Loyola net with 46 seconds to play and the score tied at 11.

Whatever it was, Wilson found himself wide-open and fired a high shot past Loyola goalie Josh Woodford. His goal gave the host Greyhounds boys lacrosse team a 12-11 victory over No. 1 Loyola in a Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference game.

"There was a frantic scramble in front of the net," said Wilson. "Everyone else headed toward the ball, but I headed for the net. Eddie [Douglas] picked up the loose ball and spotted me all alone."

The goal was Wilson's fifth on the day, which paced the Greyhounds (7-4, 7-1 MIAA). Evan Gallant and Phil Grillo led the Dons with three goals apiece. Loyola fell to 13-3, 7-1.

"I think this win defined our team this season," said Gilman senior Tommy Coughlin. "I think this will earn our team a lot of respect."

If it was respect the Greyhounds were looking for, they certainly got it from Loyola (13-3, 7-1). Twice, the Greyhounds rallied from two-goal deficits (once in each half).

"They dug down deep when they needed to and found a way to win," said Loyola coach John Tucker.

The game was tight throughout, then Loyola retook the lead early in the fourth quarter. The Dons used two assists by Mike Alfone to set up Ryan Cosgrove to tie the score at 9-9, and then another to Grillo to take a 10-9 lead with 5:58 left to play.

Gilman responded. The Greyhounds worked the ball, and Coughlin found J. D. Nelson open on a cut. His bouncer beat Woodford to tie the score 18 seconds after Grillo's counter.

Loyola again took the lead. Alfone took a pass from Ryan Tolson, and fired a bullet past goalie Richard Thomas make it 11-10 with 3:42 left to play. Gilman answered in six seconds, with Justin Redd tying it again with 3:36 left.

"Both teams played a great game," said David Allen, Gilman's coach, "and we rose to the occasion when we had to."

Other action

Brad Korvin's extra-man goal with 12 seconds remaining lifted Arundel over Broadneck, 9-8, last night in a physical game in Cape St. Claire.

Arundel's Lewis Gonzalez tied the score at 8-8 with 1:31 remaining. The victory overshadowed a four-goal performance by the Bruins' Rusty Poisson.

Chad Summerville had three goals for Broadneck (8-3), and Chase Gompers led Arundel (8-3) with three goals and one assist.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.