Julio is called up from Bowie

ORIOLES NOTEBOOK

Bale sent to Red Wings to make room for reliever

Notebook

April 25, 2001|By Joe Strauss | Joe Strauss,SUN STAFF

DETROIT - Another day, another pitching move.

Two days after receiving the first major-league win by a pitcher for the fourth time this season, the Orioles promoted reliever Jorge Julio from Double-A Bowie while optioning John Bale to Triple-A Rochester. Julio, 22, was in uniform for last night's game against the Detroit Tigers. He stands to join Chad Paronto as the second Orioles pitcher to make his major-league debut in the last week.

Julio strong-armed his way onto the 40-man roster by recording four saves and a 0.00 ERA in six games for the Baysox. He also held opponents to an .095 batting average while striking out eight against no walks in six innings pitched.

Bale was optioned after winning one of two appearances for the Orioles following his April 13 recall from Rochester. He amassed a 2.08 ERA in 4 1/3 innings.

Don't look back

Hargrove met with Ryan Kohlmeier on the Sunday evening flight from Tampa to Detroit. His message was simple: Don't worry about your job.

Kohlmeier suffered the second blown save of his young career Sunday when he allowed consecutive ninth-inning home runs to Russ Johnson and Greg Vaughn. The blasts erased an 8-5 Orioles lead and sent the game into extra innings. The Orioles won in 11 innings, 10-8, but Hargrove moved quickly to minimize any damage to Kohlmeier's psyche.

"Kohlmeier is still our closer," Hargrove said, referring to suggestions that Willis Roberts, Julio or Paronto might unseat him.

Hargrove says Kohlmeier is pitching differently than the talent who arrived last summer to convert 13 of 14 save chances. Kohlmeier has a 7.27 ERA that includes 21 base runners in 8 2/3 innings. His nine walks are only six fewer than he allowed in 25 games last season. "I think Ryan is trying to be too fine ... too perfect," said Hargrove. "He gets behind, walks a batter, then he finds it."

"The one major thing he did last year was have command of his fastball," Hargrove said. "He hasn't done that this year. Usually that comes from a pitcher trying to be too perfect."

Kohlmeier said: "I think it might have been a mechanical problem at first. But as things have continued, I think it's more of a mindset where I'm thinking, `The last thing you want to do is walk this guy.' Instead of pitching aggressively, you find yourself on the defensive."

Around the horn

Hargrove would not divulge the identity of Saturday's starter against Minnesota. However, it appears unlikely Chuck McElroy will receive a fourth start. Hargrove's options include giving the start to a minor-league call-up such as Josh Towers or John Parrish. ... Retired Orioles catcher Chris Hoiles made an appearance before last night's game. He and his wife, Dana, are expecting their third child in August. Hoiles continues to pursue possibilities of fielding a Busch Series race team. ... Sidney Ponson made about 25 throws from 70 feet yesterday. Disabled because of elbow tendinitis, he expects to be ready to come off the DL when eligible May 1. ... David Segui is listed as day-to-day after receiving a cut to the back of his right hand during Sunday's win. He did not receive stitches, but continues to have swelling.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.