In 4 OTs, Broadneck hangs on, 8-7

Freshman Johnson scores winner to defeat Arundel

Girls lacrosse

High Schools

April 25, 2001|By Edward Lee | Edward Lee,SUN STAFF

Allie Johnson hasn't made too many waves on the Broadneck girls lacrosse team. After all, this is her first season on the varsity level.

But the freshman midfielder was the difference last night, scoring the game-winning goal 2 minutes, 35 seconds into the fourth overtime to propel the No. 8-ranked Bruins to an 8-7 victory over visiting Arundel in Annapolis.

The sudden-death win, which helped Broadneck improve to 7-3 overall and 6-2 in the county, took nearly three hours to unfold and was delayed even further by a 30-minute postponement to allow a passing thunderstorm to rumble through the area.

But the wait was worth the trouble for Johnson, who recorded a hat trick, including the game-winner off a centering feed from junior midfielder Steph Jones.

"It feels good," Johnson said of her contribution, which she called her biggest goal of her career. "I'm still a freshman, so there's not that much of a career for me."

Johnson's heroics helped end a 17-minute span that featured Arundel scoring six unanswered goals after spotting the Bruins a 3-0 lead.

Senior midfielder Michelle Hornfeck scored two of her team-high three goals during that run, and senior goalkeeper Meg Dentler posted six of her 18 saves to inspire the Wildcats.

Arundel's burst worried Broadneck junior midfielder Brooke Richards.

"It was kind of nerve-wracking," said Richards, who scored a game-high four goals and leads the Bruins with 34 this season. "I think we got a little satisfied with the lead. Once we realized that they were coming back, we had to get it."

Johnson's first two goals - sandwiched around a tally from junior attackman Kate Scott - came off free positions at the 8-meter line. Her second goal tied the score at six with 5:32 left in regulation.

After a scoreless first overtime period, Richards rifled a loose ball inside the right post to give Broadneck a 7-6 edge just 55 seconds into the second overtime period. But Hornfeck got the equalizer just 17 seconds later with a bullet that beat senior goalie Alice Lerian (10 saves). The game then went into sudden death in the third overtime.

The loss marked the fourth straight time that Arundel (8-3 overall, 6-2 county) dropped a one-goal decision to the Bruins.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.