Fire officials blame a discarded cigarette for fire at complex

April 24, 2001

A two-alarm fire injured two people and caused extensive damage to an apartment complex in Howard County early Saturday. Fire officials blamed a cigarette discarded in a pot containing a Christmas tree.

A resident of an apartment in the 10000 block of Hickory Ridge Road called 911 at 5:46 a.m. after a smoke detector signaled a fire on her balcony. By the time fire crews arrived at 5:52 a.m., flames had engulfed 30 percent of the three-story building. A second alarm was called at 6 a.m., and it took 70 firefighters nearly a half-hour to control the blaze.

A firefighter was treated for shoulder and neck injuries at Howard County General Hospital and released. A resident was treated at the scene for a minor burn to her left hand. Damage to the building was estimated at $400,000 to $500,000.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.