Emily S. W. Shirley-Quirk, 15, River Hill sophomore...

April 23, 2001

Emily S. W. Shirley-Quirk, 15, River Hill sophomore

Emily Sara Watkins Shirley-Quirk, a sophomore at River Hill High School in Clarksville, died Saturday of aplastic anemia at Johns Hopkins Hospital. She was 15.

Born in London, she moved to Arlington, Va., in 1991 and had lived in Clarksville since 1993.

"Emily's perennial sassiness sometimes camouflaged the extraordinarily sweet and polite young woman who loved the make-believe world of Disney movies," said Eileen Soskin of Columbia, a close family friend. "Emily had a beautiful voice, courtesy of her father, and the temperament of a tiger, courtesy of her mother."

Calling hours will be held from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesday at Witzke Funeral Home, 5555 Twin Knolls Road, Columbia. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Thursday at Mount Vernon Place United Methodist Church in Baltimore.

Survivors include her father, John Shirley-Quirk, a voice teacher at the Peabody Institute in Baltimore; a brother, Benjamin Shirley-Quirk, a student at Oberlin College in Oberlin, Ohio; a sister, Julia Shirley-Quirk of Clarksville; her maternal grandmother, Virginia Watkins of Illinois; two aunts, Jane Loeb and Catherine E. Watkins, both of Champagne, Ill.; a half-sister, Kate Shirley-Quirk, and a half-brother, Peter Shirley-Quirk, both of England.

Her mother, Sara Watkins Shirley-Quirk, an oboist and conductor, died in 1997.

Amelia `Priscilla' Gordon, 87, volunteer, board member

Amelia "Priscilla" Cheek Gordon, a 63-year resident of Ruxton, died April 13 at Sinai Hospital of complications from a stroke she suffered in February. She was 87.

Born in Chicago, she was the granddaughter of Joel O. Cheek, the traveling salesman who created what would become a famous coffee blend for the Maxwell House Hotel in Nashville, Tenn.

Mrs. Gordon spent much of her childhood in St. Petersburg, Fla. After graduating from Sarah Lawrence College, where she majored in business, she studied fashion design in New York City. There she met her husband, William Harrison Gordon. After they married in 1935, the couple settled in Baltimore.

Mrs. Gordon volunteered for numerous organizations and agencies, including the Baltimore County family services department and the American Red Cross, where she helped test children for the Head Start program.

She was a board member and corresponding secretary for Lady Managers of Keswick, now known as Keswick Multi-Care Center, visiting patients regularly. At the time of her death, she was a sustaining member of the Junior League of Baltimore, the Mount Vernon Club, the L'Hirondelle Club and the Maryland Historical Society. For three years, she served as historical activities chairwoman of the Maryland Chapter of the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America.

Her husband, who was executive vice president of Barton-Gillet, a Baltimore firm that specialized in college-admissions marketing and fund raising, died in 1965.

A memorial service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at the Church of the Good Shepherd, 1401 Carrollton Ave., Ruxton. Private graveside services were held last week at St. Thomas Episcopal Church in Garrison Forest.

Survivors include two daughters, Amelia Gordon Ward of Baltimore and Sally Gordon Roberts of Charlottesville Va.; two sisters, Florence Tutwiler of Indianapolis and Mary Hansen of Jupiter, Fla.; and 17 nieces and nephews.

In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the Church of the Good Shepherd, 1401 Carrollton Ave., Ruxton 21204, or Keswick Multi-Care Center, 700 W. 40th St., Baltimore 21211.

Robert A. Snyder Sr., 85, lawyer and accountant

Robert A. Snyder Sr., a lawyer and accountant in Baltimore for more than 50 years, died Wednesday of prostate cancer at Stella Maris Hospice in Towson. The Glendale resident, who was 85, was admitted to the hospice the day before he died.

Born in Baltimore, Mr. Snyder graduated from City College in 1931 and earned an accounting degree from University of Baltimore in 1935. He went to work at his father's accounting practice in Baltimore and attended law school at night at University of Baltimore.

Mr. Snyder was a naval officer in World War II, beginning in 1942 when he was in charge of a gun crew on a merchant vessel. Later, he served as an anti-aircraft officer on a destroyer escort in the North Atlantic.

After the war in Europe ended, Mr. Snyder worked at a naval ordnance plant in York, Pa. He was discharged in 1946 as a lieutenant commander.

Mr. Snyder retired in 1982 but continued to see clients until shortly before his death.

During the past 20 years, he traveled frequently, visiting more than 50 countries. He particularly enjoyed African safaris and trips to the Far East. He also enjoyed playing golf.

Mr. Snyder's wife of 39 years, the former Dorothy Leibiger, died in 1986.

A memorial service will be held at 10 a.m. tomorrow at Second Presbyterian Church in Guilford, 4200 St. Paul St.

He is survived by a son, Robert A. Snyder Jr. of Rodgers Forge, and three grandchildren.


Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.