Bryn Mawr smothers Liberty for title, 12-4

Glenelg tops Hereford in consolation, 14-13

Girls lacrosse

April 22, 2001|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,SUN STAFF

Only a few familiar faces dot No. 4 Bryn Mawr's defense this season, but the results are still the same.

The Mawrtians (13-0-2) all but shut down a good Liberty attack yesterday, allowing the No. 7 Lions just one goal on 16 shots from the field en route to a 12-4 victory and their third straight championship at the 7th Annual Liberty Tournament in Eldersburg.

The Lions took 19 shots - only three fewer than Bryn Mawr - but struggled against a tightly-knit Mawrtians defense. Three Liberty goals came on free-position shots.

"When your shot selection is that poor - oh, my gosh," said Lions coach Courtney Vaughn. "Their defense did a great job. They put you in a tough situation to shoot. You have to work for everything you get and we didn't get much."

The Mawrtians' defensive backbone of Ardith Lindsey, Kelly Noon, Laurie Sherry, Nyerr Parham and goalie Angela Trusty (six saves) shut out the Lions for more than 25 minutes after Kelly Fiorani and Lindsay Weiner gave Liberty a 2-0 lead on free-position goals.

The Lions (6-2) missed their last five shots of the first half and their first three in the second.

"A lot of those shots, we got a stick on," said Noon, the only senior on line defense. "We heard that they were really aggressive and make strong cuts, so we were working on denying their cuts and working as a unit to get the slides off right away."

While the defense held the Lions at bay, the attack racked up the goals. The Mawrtians answered Liberty's initial lead with four goals in less than five minutes. They led 6-2 by halftime.

After Becky Trumbo connected with Meagan Voight for the Lions' only goal from the field, the Mawrtians outscored them by 6-1 through the last 21 minutes.

Elizabeth Pinney, who assisted Megan Burker with a behind-the-back toss for the game's final goal, had three goals and two assists, as did Sarah Sanborn.

In the consolation, No. 13 Glenelg (6-1-1) and No. 11 Hereford (6-2) staged a double-overtime nail-biter that could be repeated in the state Class 2A/1A semifinals.

Erin Edell's goal, into an open net, 1:37 into sudden-death finally handed Glenelg a 14-13 victory.

Bulls goalie Kitt Turnbaugh had to leave the goal after she was called for a dangerous play, bringing her stick down on Edell's head. The senior, who had scored twice, overcame her nerves and lobbed the ball easily into the open net.

"It's so much worse seeing that it was an open goal," said Edell. "Two years ago, I remember, someone missed. That's all I kept thinking about. I knew I had to make it."

The victory was particularly rewarding for the Gladiators because they trailed by five goals and didn't lead until overtime. Two critical goals kept them in the game: Edell's to tie at 11-11 with 1:27 left in regulation and Stephanie Simpson's to make it 13-13 with 13 seconds left in the first overtime.

Turnbaugh, who finished with 15 saves, held off three Glenelg shots in the final 1:11 of regulation before Kate Nicol's apparent game-winner with eight seconds left. The Bulls called for a stick check and the goal was disallowed, because Nicol's stick had an illegally-deep pocket, forcing overtime.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.