Man pleads guilty to Christmas Eve assault

Woman shot

defendant fled jail, was recaptured

April 11, 2001|By Laura Cadiz | Laura Cadiz,SUN STAFF

An inmate who escaped from the Anne Arundel County Detention Center last week pleaded guilty yesterday to two counts of first-degree assault in a Christmas Eve burglary in which an Annapolis woman was shot.

Derrick Dion Jones, 23, also pleaded guilty in Anne Arundel Circuit Court to first-degree burglary and using a handgun in the commission of a felony. He is being held without bond and is scheduled to be sentenced May 2. Jones could receive 90 years in prison.

Jones, whose last known address was in the 200 block of Zepplin Ave. in the North County community of Pumphrey, has also been charged with escape after scaling a 20-foot razor-wire fence at the detention center on Jennifer Road on Thursday. Jones was found Saturday in a trash bin behind a shopping center in the 1900 block of West St. Earlier, he was seen begging outside a Wendy's restaurant.

State's Attorney Frank R. Weathersbee said he offered the plea agreement last week before the escape of Jones, who was originally charged with attempted murder. Weathersbee said he will argue for the high end of the sentencing range."[The plea agreement] accurately reflects what it is [that] he did," he said after the trial. "This is certainly what he would have been convicted of."

Wearing a green jumpsuit and bandages on his arms, Jones appeared remorseful yesterday in court, barely murmuring the answers to questions from Circuit Judge Clayton Greene Jr.

"This is somebody who clearly knows the extent of the damage he's caused," public defender Alan R. Friedman said after the trial.

In the statement of facts presented to the judge, Weathersbee said Jones broke into the home of Richard and Linda Kibbe in the first block of Shiley St. about midnight Dec. 24. Richard Kibbe, 62, and the couple's daughter, Kristin Cheetham, 33, were in their upstairs bedrooms when Linda Kibbe, 61, who was downstairs, heard a loud crash and cried out that a man was in the house. She confronted Jones in the den, and he told her that he wanted to use the phone, Weathersbee said.

Linda Kibbe ran upstairs into the master bedroom to join her husband and daughter, and they closed the door and called police. Jones banged on the door and again said he wanted to use the phone, while Richard Kibbe tried to barricade the door with a dresser, Weathersbee said. Jones then shot at least two times through the door with a .380-caliber handgun, hitting Linda Kibbe in the groin area.

When the door started to break, Richard Kibbe grabbed Jones' arm, and he and his wife tried to subdue the intruder. Linda Kibbe jumped on Jones' back, and the couple wrestled Jones down on the bed where Linda Kibbe sat on his head.

"She's been hit, but she doesn't give up the fight," Weathersbee said.

During the struggle, Cheetham ran downstairs to let Annapolis police officers in the house. The officers subdued Jones with pepper spray and arrested him.

Linda Kibbe underwent 2 1/2 hours of surgery at Maryland Shock Trauma Center, and 6 inches of her intestine had to be removed, Weathersbee said.

Jones is also scheduled to go on trial Tuesday on a drug charge, on April 18 on a gambling charge and on May 29 in a September home invasion.

Friedman said the Christmas Eve burglary "was far beyond what [Jones] really ever intended." He called his involvement in the crime "nonsensical."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.