Severna Park's strategy works against St. Mary's

Falcons let Dieringer go, make Saints pay, 9-8

Girls lacrosse

High schools

April 10, 2001|By Edward Lee | Edward Lee,SUN STAFF

The Severna Park girls lacrosse team dared someone other than St. Mary's standout attacker Brooke Dieringer to beat the Falcons.

The 10th-ranked Saints blinked, surrendering a two-goal halftime lead and falling, 9-8, to host and No. 4 Severna Park in Severna Park yesterday.

"When one girl was scoring all the goals, we decided to take her out of the game," said Falcons coach Carin Peterson. "We basically told St. Mary's: `If you're going to beat us, you'll have to beat us with your other players.' "

The gamble paid off. Although Dieringer, a second-team All-Metro junior last season, finished with a game-high four goals, she was limited to one in the second half.

"In the second half, we slid and worked together," said Yale-bound senior defender Erin Tush. "We didn't leave Brooke alone to go in by herself. We worked together to stop her."

In fact, Dieringer's lone second-half goal was all the Saints would register in the final 25 minutes, which Severna Park owned by outscoring its visitors, 4-1.

Trailing 7-5 by halftime, the Falcons (5-1) seemed re-energized after a pep talk from assistant coach Steve Barry.

Senior midfielder and North Carolina-bound Nicki Barnes scored two of her team-high three goals in the first eight minutes to tie the score at 7.

Then junior midfielder Kate Hickman scored back-to-back goals in a span of 66 seconds to give Severna Park a 9-7 lead with 15:44 left in the game.

Dieringer scored her fourth off a free position with 5:56 left, but St. Mary's (6-2-1) missed the net with two shots to tie the game.

And when the Falcons gained possession with 1:46 to go, they played keep-away in the offensive zone to run out the clock and clinch the victory.

Senior attacker and Penn State-bound Kristen Burke posted two goals and an assist for Severna Park.

Saints senior attacker Allesandra Salatti said the offense sputtered when faced with the second-half deficit.

"We got down, and we started rushing it," said Salatti, who recorded a goal. "We needed to slow it down, which we tried to do."

For the third time in the past four meetings, the outcome was decided by one goal.

"It's right up there," she said. "We look forward to this game from the beginning of the season."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.