Virginia P. McLaughlin, 84, nursing supervisor Virginia...

April 08, 2001

Virginia P. McLaughlin, 84, nursing supervisor

Virginia P. McLaughlin, a nurse who worked full time into her 70s, died of lung disease March 25 in her Catonsville home. She was 84.

Born in the small Eastern Shore community of Parsonsburg, Va., the former Virginia Perdue graduated in 1938 from Peninsula General Hospital Nursing School.

She began her career as a surgical nurse at Johns Hopkins Hospital and retired at 71 from Keswick Multi-Care Center. She was nursing supervisor at Rosewood Center in Owings Mills for about 10 years, starting in the late 1950s.

Mrs. McLaughlin spent her retirement volunteering at Northwest Hospital Center and Union Memorial Hospital. She also bred and showed Great Danes and cairn terriers.

She donated her body to the Maryland State Anatomy Board in what her daughter described as a final act of devotion to the medical field. "She was a very, very giving person, and she was also a nurse," said her daughter, Carol McLaughlin Miller of Ellicott City. "She wanted to do something for medical education."

Mrs. McLaughlin's marriage to Dr. Francis McLaughlin ended in divorce. A son, John McLaughlin, died about 25 years ago.

In addition to her daughter, she is survived by a son, Thomas McLaughlin of Mooresville, N.C.; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

A memorial celebration will be held from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday at her daughter's home, 3726 Chateau Ridge Drive, Ellicott City.

Samuel Weinfeld, 82, ran realty company

Samuel Weinfeld, a World War II veteran who bumped into Gen. Douglas MacArthur while serving in the Pacific, died Friday from complications of a hip operation at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore. He was 82.

A longtime Pikesville resident, Mr. Weinfeld started acquiring res- idential rental properties around Baltimore after the war. He operated C&E Realty until his retirement about 10 years ago. Mr. Weinfeld was born in Coney Island, N.Y., and moved with his family to Lombard Street in Baltimore as a young boy.

He attended City College, where he was a standout basketball player. Mr. Weinfeld worked as a bookkeeper and office manager for the Army's Edgewood Arsenal before joining the service. He spent four years in the Pacific. It was in the Philippines that he had his brush with the famous general on the steps of a government building.

"MacArthur was going down two steps at a time because he was that tall, and my husband was going up one step at a time, and they collided, actually collided," said Mr. Weinfeld's widow, the former Gilda H. Schlossberg.

In addition to his wife of 50 years, Mr. Weinfeld is survived by a son, Evan Weinfeld of Pikesville; a daughter, Carla Weinfeld of Chapel Hill, N.C.; and two grandchildren.

Services will be at 9 a.m. Tuesday at Sol Levinson & Bros., 8900 Reisterstown Road, Pikesville.


Devi Lal, 86, a former deputy prime minister of India, died Friday of heart failure in New Dehli. In 1989, Mr. Lal turned down the job of Indian prime minister when a coalition of socialists and leftist groups came into power after the defeat of Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi in parliamentary elections. Born into a family of farmers, Mr. Lal joined India's independence struggle against the British in 1929 at age 15. He later rose to become the top elected official of Haryana state in the 1980s.

Mary Walters, 79, a New Mexico Supreme Court justice who was seen by many women in the legal profession as a mentor and trailblazer, died Wednesday of complications from bronchitis in Albuquerque. She was a transport pilot during World War II and graduated from the University of New Mexico School of Law at age 40. She became the first president of the New Mexico Women's Political Caucus, first woman named to the District Court bench and first woman on the state Supreme Court.

George C. Lamb Jr., 75, a former chairman and chief executive of United Parcel Service who guided the company through one of its largest and most significant growth periods, died of cancer Tuesday at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, N.C. Mr. Lamb joined UPS in 1952 as a shop clerk, logging addresses. He remained with the company until he retired in 1984 as chief executive.

Edward Roth, 69, "Big Daddy" to 1960s teen-agers and creator of curvaceously customized cars and delightfully repugnant cartoon characters, notably the slobbering Rat Fink, died of a heart attack Wednesday in his studio in Manti, Utah. Teen-age boys hoarded allowance money to buy plastic models of his real-life roaring hot rods, from the Outlaw to the Beatnik Bandit to the Mysterion.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.