Quick to stop Roland Park, Maryvale scores upset, 5-3

Huether's key save sparks No. 7 Lions' win over No. 2

Girls lacrosse

March 31, 2001|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,SUN STAFF

Maryvale goalie Megan Huether didn't have time to think before she made the critical save in yesterday's girls lacrosse game at Roland Park. She prefers it that way.

"I try not to think too much. I just want to react," said Huether, who made a diving save on an Allison Higgins' shot early in the second half as the No. 7 Lions upset No. 2 Roland Park, 5-3.

The play began when Huether attempted to clear the ball from about seven meters to the left of her crease. Higgins intercepted the ball and was looking at an open net, but Huether recovered instantly, diving into the crease to snare Higgins' low shot in her crosse.

Huether made 11 saves in the Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland A Conference non-league game, but that one, with the score tied 2-2, kept the Reds (2-1) from gaining momentum and energized the upstart Lions (4-0).

"That pumped us up so much," said Lions midfielder Katie Chrest. "To see one player putting that much effort and that much intensity into their game makes the rest of us want to do more, and that's what lifts our team up."

Chrest, a transfer from Mercy, provided the next boost. Just 21 seconds after Huether's sensational save, Chrest converted a feed from Emily Vitrano for a 3-2 Lions lead with 19:29 to go.

"At that point, I knew we were going to win," Huether said. "I felt like our attack was reacting to our defense. The defense would make a move and the attack would kind of challenge the defense to make a better move. We definitely work off each other a lot."

Five minutes later, Chrest scored what turned out to be the game-winner on a free position to give the Lions a 4-2 edge.

After Chrest's second goal, Huether turned in more heroics, making a high point-blank save against Higgins and coming up with an interception.

Just after the interception, however, Huether was called for a foul as she and Reds center Kelsey Twist fought for the ball just beyond the 12-meter mark. With Huether forced to go behind her on the free position, Twist hit the open net from 12 meters to pull within 4-3 with 8:28 to go.

After that, however, the Reds had few chances to catch up.

The Lions won the draw and held possession most of the time. Higgins had the only Reds' shot during the final stretch. Under heavy pressure in the arc with 18 seconds left, she fired high.

"Our shots weren't falling for us today," said coach Tara Kramer, whose Reds outshot the Lions 19-17. "Some days are like that."

The Lions got possession off Higgins' miss and Katie Sullivan converted a transition goal, on a feed from Chrest, to seal the win with 3.7 seconds remaining.

Huether's performance overshadowed a fine effort by Reds goalie Anne Sheridan, who finished with seven saves including two in the final 7:12 to keep her team in the game.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.