2 Baltimore police officers suffer minor injuries in traffic incidents

March 24, 2001|By Laurie Willis | Laurie Willis,SUN STAFF

Two Baltimore police officers were injured yesterday, neither seriously, in separate traffic incidents.

Just before 3 p.m., Officer Robert Talbert, 30, of the Western District, was responding to a 911 call concerning an armed person. As Talbert drove south in the 200 block of Mount St., a stolen Chrysler New Yorker came out of an alley behind the 1700 block of Lexington St. and struck his patrol car on the passenger side, said Agent Martin Bartness of the Police Department's public information office.

Talbert was taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where he was treated and released. He suffered several bumps and bruises and needed stitches, Bartness said.

After the collision - which caused significant damage to Talbert's cruiser but was apparently not intentional - the two juveniles in the Chrysler fled on foot, heading south on Mount Street, Bartness said.

The youths had not been caught by late last night, Bartness said.

In the other incident, Officer Carlos Vila, 32, of the Southwestern District, was struck in the knee by a stolen car as he conducted a traffic initiative in the 2100 block of Wilkens Avenue around 5:40 p.m., Bartness said.

Vila was treated at Mercy Medical Center for a bruise on his left knee and released.

The incident began when a Toyota Corolla without a front license plate approached the checkpoint. Officers motioned for the driver to pull over, but after slowing as if to comply, he sped away, striking Vila, Bartness said.

Several officers followed the car to Pratt and Light streets before losing sight of it in rush-hour traffic.

The car was found minutes later abandoned on Baltimore Street near University of Maryland Medical Center.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.