Officer knocked unconscious during power line cleanup

Utility pole strikes roof of his patrol car

March 23, 2001|By Amanda Crawford and Laura Cadiz | Amanda Crawford and Laura Cadiz,SUN STAFF

An Annapolis police officer helping to keep out traffic as crews cleaned up a fallen tree and power lines was momentarily knocked unconscious yesterday evening when a wooden utility pole crashed onto the roof of his patrol car in a residential waterfront neighborhood.

Although city Officer Carl Bouie, an eight-year veteran, did not appear seriously hurt, he was flown by MedEvac helicopter to Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore as a precaution, said police Lt. Timothy Seipp. He was reported in fair condition shortly after arrival there.

The incident occurred shortly before 6 p.m. in the 100 block of Scott Drive, near the mouth of Weems Creek, where a tree had fallen about 2:30 p.m. Authorities said the pole that hit the car appeared to have been deteriorating at its base, and the continuing winds and tension of the wires brought it down.

John W. Siegert, a resident there and Red Cross volunteer, said his wife, Desiree, called out to him that a pole had fallen on the car, and he and son William, 16, ran outside to help get the officer out of the vehicle.

Siegert said the officer appeared to be unconscious at first, then groggy. "We set him on the ground, wrapped a blanket around him and waited for the ambulance crew to arrive," he said.

"The wind has been howling all day. Branches have been breaking off trees," Siegert said, adding that his house had lost power during the afternoon gusts.

The Fire Department said Bouie was sitting in his patrol car, blocking off the street, when it happened. "The winds had just started really blowing the last couple of hours," said city fire Capt. Richard Butler.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.