Landon topples Loyola

Bears erase 5-goal deficit at half for 12-11 victory

High Schools

Boys lacrosse

March 21, 2001|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

Visiting Landon of Bethesda overcame a five-goal halftime deficit yesterday by outscoring Loyola 5-0 in the third period, and Peter Lamade's only goal, with 1:04 to play, was the game-winner in a 12-11 boys lacrosse win.

The visiting Bears (1-1), coming off a 9-6 loss to Severn, were led by attackmen Matt Ward (five goals) and Jake Byrne (four), a junior and sophomore, respectively, with 6-foot, 215-pound senior midfielder Mike Petrash (headed for Bucknell) sparking Landon's 20-7 advantage in faceoffs.

For Loyola (0-1), the loss was its fourth in its past five meetings with Landon, whose 26th-year coach, Rob Bordley, has the Washington area's premier lacrosse program with a 20-0 record in Interscholastic Athletic Conference title games.

Landon junior defender Tony Vita also played well, assisting Byrne to tie the game at 8 after trailing 8-3 at halftime. Vita's goal, off a groundball pickup at midfield, made it 9-9. Vita's assist to Ward (committed to Virginia) gave Landon its first lead, 11-10, shortly after Landon's Jeff Weiker (nine saves) stuffed a short-range shot by Evan Gallant (three goals, one assist).

Gallant tied the game at 11 by feeding Phil Grillo (three goals) with 1:53 left, but Vita stripped a Dons player in front of Landon's goal and redirected it into the game-winning sequence.

"We're a young team, coming off a tough loss. We had a rough first half," said Landon's North Carolina-bound Ted Hayes, who had a goal and an assist. "But every time we got the ball in the second half, we wanted to go to the goal with it."

Loyola's Mike Alfone (two goals, one assist) dictated the pace early, scoring from 18 yards for a 1-0 lead and assisting on an underhanded 20-yarder by Conor Bell (two goals) to make it 2-1. Alfone made it 3-1, the score entering the second period, by splitting two defenders and scoring from the doorstep.

Hayes fed Byrne to make it 3-2, scooping a ground ball beyond midfield and finding the sophomore for a two-yard dunk. But Loyola closed with a 5-1 run, mostly in transition. Landon seemed finished after Tim Sullivan stripped the ball to foil its final man-advantage attempt as the half ended.

"We kind of had a fire in our bellies because people don't think we're that good this year," said Petrash, referring to Landon's graduation of its veteran goalie, two top defensive players, and top two attackmen.

But Petrash and Hayes have sustained the midfield, a switch from last year, when, Ward said, his role was "to be the caddy for two great attackmen."

"He's a tremendous player who is dangerous with either hand," said Loyola coach John Tucker. "You can't do a lot when you don't have the ball, and we didn't for about 80 percent of the third quarter. They were patient, and we didn't have a great defensive game."

Georgetown Prep 9, Gilman 8: Tom Boylan scored his third goal of the game in the second overtime to lift the Little Hoyas in the first game for both teams. Gilman, which was outshot 35-19, rallied from a 5-3 halftime deficit. Chris Deutschman led the Greyhounds with two goals.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.