Robert W. Hughes, 85, Social Security official Robert...

March 10, 2001

Robert W. Hughes, 85, Social Security official

Robert W. Hughes, a Social Security official, died Wednesday of lung cancer at the Edenwald Retirement Community in Towson. He was 85 and had lived in Towson since 1963.

He retired about 25 years ago as the Towson district manager for the Social Security Administration. He had also served as a district manager in Milwaukee.

During his career he often appeared on local television news shows to discuss Medicare and other federal programs.

Born in New York City, he attended public school in Erie, Pa., and was a graduate of Western Reserve Academy in Hudson, Ohio, and the University of Chicago, where he earned a degree in economics.

During World War II, he served in the Army as a paratrooper. He was injured during the Battle of the Bulge and lost his left leg. Discharged with the rank of first lieutenant, he was awarded the Purple Heart.

He enjoyed swimming and competed successfully in the Maryland Senior Olympics and the Good Life Games in Vero Beach, Fla. He also studied languages and conversed with people he met while traveling.

In 1945 he married Alice Meier, who survives him.

A memorial service will be held at 1 p.m. March 17 at Brown Memorial Woodbrook Presbyterian Church, 6200 N. Charles St., where he was an elder and coordinated the work of volunteers who did groundskeeping.

He also is survived by a son, Jerry Hughes of Ellicott City; a daughter, Ellen Seward of Sparks; two sisters, Anna Ahearn of Vero Beach, Fla., and Marjorie Moore of Bainbridge, Wash.; and two granddaughters.

Kenneth J. Fish, 68, electronics technician

Kenneth J. Fish, a career Air Force radarman and retired electronics technician, died Monday of a heart attack at his Columbia home. He was 68.

Mr. Fish served as an Air Force radarman from 1950 until he was discharged in 1971, and participated in the Korean and Vietnam wars. His decorations include the Bronze Star.

From 1972 until retiring in 1992, Mr. Fish was an electronics technician for Telautograph Corp. At the time of his death, he was on a medical leave from Wal-Mart in Ellicott City, where he worked part time.

Mr. Fish had been a member of the American Legion, the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the Knights of Columbus. He was a member of the League of Maryland Horseman.

Born and raised in Memphis, N.Y., he enlisted in the Air Force after graduating from high school in 1950.

A memorial service will be held at 5 p.m. Thursday at Harry Witzke Funeral Home, 4112 Old Columbia Pike in Ellicott City.

Mr. Fish is survived by his wife of 29 years, the former Linda Romer; a son, Kenny Fish of Laurel; six daughters, Caroline Fish of Columbia, Annette Fish of Los Angeles, Carolyn Weber of Beltsville, Cheryl Fish of Frederick, and Mary Jo Fish and Eve Harville, both of Tampa, Fla.; his mother, Frances Fish of Fulton; two stepsons, Jon Larsson of Clarksville and Erik Larsson of Elkridge; 12 grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Wilhelmina Rhodes, 92 phone company custodian

Wilhelmina Rhodes, a retired Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co. custodian and longtime member of Leadenhall Baptist Church, died Tuesday of cancer at the home of a daughter in Owings Mills. She was 92.

Mrs. Rhodes, a former West Baltimore resident, retired in 1973 from C & P Telephone Co. where she worked as a custodian for 29 years. She was a member of the Telephone Pioneers of Maryland.

She was born Wilhelmina Richardson in Walterboro, S.C., where she graduated from high school. In 1926 she moved to Baltimore and joined Leadenhall Baptist Church.

At the church, she was a member of the Sunday school, Sisterhood of Leadenhall and served with the Missionary Society and the Willing Workers. She also was a lifetime member of the Women's Auxiliary of the United Baptist Missionary Convention of Maryland.

She was married in 1926 to Abraham Rhodes, a Bethlehem Steel Corp. steelworker, who died in 1952.

Services will be held at 11 a.m. today at Leadenhall Baptist Church, 1021 Leadenhall St., in Baltimore.

She is survived by three daughters, Carolyn Rhodes of Owings Mills, Gertrude Jackson of Catonsville and Louise Rhodes of Baltimore; a brother, Wolter Harrison of Walterboro; and two sisters, Sara Mae Rhodes and Annabelle Teasdale, both of Walterboro.

Venie Parker Haines, 100, homemaker

Venie Parker Haines, a homemaker and longtime Hampden resident, died Thursday of a cardiac arrest at the Keswick Multi-Care Center. She was 100.

Until moving into the retirement home in 1993, Mrs. Haines had lived in Hampden for 70 years.

She was a longtime member of Good Shepherd United Methodist Church on Roland Avenue, where she was responsible for ordering and arranging flowers on the church altar for Sunday services. She was especially known for her arrangement of Easter lillies and poinsettias at Christmas.

She was an accomplished needleworker and liked crocheting and tatting.

Venie Parker was born and raised in Poplar Branch in Currituck County, N.C., where her parents were farmers. After graduating from high school there, she worked for the city of Norfolk, Va., as a clerk-typist.

In 1922, she met and married Frank H. Haines, a construction superintendent employed by the Baltimore firm of H.E. Crook Co. He died in 1987.

She was an avid gardener and was especially fond of roses and other flowers.

Mrs. Haines was a 77-year member of the Order of the Eastern Star and Bou-Tem-Sci of the Boumi Temple.

Services will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at Burgee-Henss-Seitz Funeral Home, 3631 Falls Road in Hampden.

She is survived by her son, James E. Haines of Catonsville; two grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; and a nephew and niece.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.