Arundel schools get false phone call

Male voice says teachers were being shot

police determine report fake

March 08, 2001|By Laura Barnhardt and Stephanie Desmon | Laura Barnhardt and Stephanie Desmon,SUN STAFF

As police investigated school shootings in other areas, police raced to three north county schools yesterday after the Anne Arundel County school district office received a telephone call reporting local shootings.

The male caller, who contacted the central office about 10:30 a.m., said that as he spoke, teachers were being shot at the three schools.

After a few tense moments, police quickly determined the report was false, said Officer Charles Ravenell, a department spokesman.

All was quiet at Glendale Elementary School in Glen Burnie and Hilltop Elementary School and North County Senior High School in Ferndale, but school officials sent administrative staff to the three schools for assistance.

Police were trying to determine who called county schools central office and falsely reported the shootings, Ravenell said.

Police will be present at the schools the rest of the week as a precaution.

The incident was not discussed publicly at yesterday's school board meeting, but during a news conference later, school officials said they had not decided if they would be sending letters home with students.

While threats have been made in the past, "it spikes whenever these things happen," said Kenneth P. Lawson, associate superintendent.

Police took the threat seriously, he said. "We had to err on the side of safety."

In Williamsport, Pa., an eighth-grade girl shot a 13-year-old female classmate during lunch yesterday at a Roman Catholic school before being subdued by a school administrator, officials said.

The victim was shot once in the upper body, but her injuries were not considered life threatening, said Maria Orzel, a spokeswoman for the Diocese of Scranton.

In Maryland, a teen-ager was shot in front of Largo High School on Tuesday, Prince George's County police said.

Police Chief John Farrell said the 17-year-old victim, who was not a Largo student, was shot about 5 p.m. outside the school's main entrance.

The teen-ager, who was not identified, was treated for nonlife-threatening injuries at Prince George's Hospital Center.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.