Sister Mary Seraphia Dorn, 86, high school teacher...

March 07, 2001

Sister Mary Seraphia Dorn, 86, high school teacher

Sister Mary Seraphia Dorn, a retired high school science teacher, died Monday of heart failure at Villa Assumpta's Maria Health Care Center in Woodbrook. She was 86.

She taught earth science at Archbishop Keough High School in Southwest Baltimore from 1966 until 1984.

She retired as an office assistant at Keough in 1995.

Born in Baltimore, Margaret Dorn was raised in Highlandtown. She was a graduate of Sacred Heart of Jesus parochial school, the Institute of Notre Dame and Mount Mercy College in Pittsburgh, where she earned a bachelor's degree in education.

She entered the School Sisters of Notre Dame, a Roman Catholic religious order, in 1932, and professed her vows in 1934.

A Mass of the Resurrection for Sister Seraphia will be offered at 10 a.m. tomorrow at Villa Assumpta, the motherhouse of the School Sisters of Notre Dame, 6401 N. Charles St.

She is survived by a brother, the Rev. George Dorn, a Redemptorist priest, of New Smyrna Beach, Fla.

William E. Townsend, 83, steamship captain

William Edward Townsend, a steamship captain, died Feb. 28 of a heart attack at his Ellicott City home. He was 83.

Mr. Townsend retired in 1988 as a vessel superintendent for the International Terminal Operating Corp. in Dundalk. He had been a steamship captain for the Isthmanian Steamship Co. in the 1940s and 1950s.

Born in Camden, N.J., he was an Atlantic City High School graduate.

He joined the Merchant Marine in 1936, became an able-bodied seaman and quartermaster in 1938, and a first mate and officer in 1943. He earned his master's ticket in July 1945.

During World War II, he sailed on Liberty ships in the Atlantic.

In 1983, he was named Baltimore Port Man of the Year by the Waterfront Workers' Association.

He enjoyed traveling.

In 1947, he married Maxine Dunn, who died in 1989. In 1998, he married Mary M. Strong.

A Mass of Christian burial was offered Saturday at the Roman Catholic Church of the Resurrection in Ellicott City, where he was a member.

He also is survived by a stepson, Michael McDonald of Ellicott City; and a granddaughter.

Harry J. Albert, 63, engineer at NSA

Harry J. Albert, an engineer at the National Security Agency, died of heart failure Feb. 26 at Union Memorial Hospital. He was 63 and lived in Severna Park.

Mr. Albert was born in Philadelphia and graduated from Drexel University with a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering in 1963.

He served as an electrical engineer in the Army from 1963 to 1968, then joined NSA. His work for the agency at Fort Meade was classified, family members said.

His marriage to Dorothy Joan Waples ended in divorce.

He was a member of Woods Memorial Presbyterian Church in Severna Park, where a memorial service was held Friday.

He is survived by two sons, James F. Albert of Columbia and Steven R. Albert of San Francisco; his mother, Pauline Albert, and a brother, Rowland Albert, both of Columbia; and his companion, Catherine Kirby of Annapolis.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.