Man gets 18-month sentence in assault on two teen-agers

He attacked them after they drove onto property

March 07, 2001|By Dennis O'Brien | Dennis O'Brien,SUN STAFF

A 47-year-old man was sentenced in Baltimore County Circuit Court yesterday to 18 months for hitting two youths with a baseball bat and chasing them with a shotgun when they drove onto his property in White Marsh last June.

Frank W. Alger, of the 800 block of Fair Wind Drive, Bel Air, was sentenced by Judge Christian M. Kahl after Kahl convicted him of second-degree assault, reckless endangerment, resisting arrest and carrying a dangerous weapon.

Assistant State's Attorney William Bickel said that the charges were filed after an attack June 24 on Alger's 5-acre property in the 7500 block of Gum Spring Road.

Wayne Sutherland, 16, drove onto the wooded lot with two friends about 5 p.m., Bickel said. The group was there about 15 minutes waiting for a friend, and they decided to leave, he said.

Alger, who had arrived before the youths, placed a lawnmower on the roadway to block their exit. He then hid in the woods waiting for them to leave, Bickel said.

When Sutherland stopped his Jeep to move the lawn mower, Alger - dressed in military fatigues and armed with a shotgun and an aluminum baseball bat - jumped out of the woods and shot out a tire on the vehicle, Bickel said.

Alger then jumped on the sideboard of the Jeep and smashed its windshield with the bat.

He used the bat to hit Sutherland and one of his passengers, Sean Spera, 16, Bickel said.

Sutherland drove off, running over the lawnmower before striking a tree, Bickel said.

Spera and Emily Kubus, 14, ran and flagged down a passing police officer on Gum Spring Road, Bickel said.

Alger, who had chased the group, caught up with Sutherland, pointed his shotgun at the youth and ordered him off the property, Bickel said.

Alger testified at his trial Dec. 20 that he came to the property that day to do maintenance work, fell asleep and was awakened by the Jeep.

He said that he used the bat to protect himself and carried it with him when he confronted the youths because he felt threatened.

He also said that the property has been repeatedly vandalized since the death in 1997 of his father, who had lived there.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.