Army nears contract decision on Fort Meade housing project

Officials to announce winning bid this month

March 04, 2001|By Rona Kobell | Rona Kobell,SUN STAFF

After a nearly two-year process hobbled in recent months by bidding protests and delays, the Army is preparing to announce its choice for developer of the coveted $2 billion pilot program to privatize Fort Meade's housing.

Last month, the Army narrowed its list of applicants and is now in the final stages of the approval process, said Lt. Col. Marian R. Hansen, an Army public affairs officer. She said the Army will make its announcement sometime this month.

"We're working the system and following the rules," Hansen said of the process. "When we're talking about a big program like this, it takes an enormous amount of time to go through the system."

Fort Meade is badly in need of a housing overhaul, with an estimated 85 percent to 90 percent of its almost 2,900 units classified as substandard. About 2,500 units will be demolished under the program. Exacerbating the problem are high rents in the area. According to the Army, even the substandard homes have waiting lists of up to six months because the Army's monthly stipend cannot cover outside rents.

Initially, hundreds of developers expressed interest in the Fort Meade project, which is part of the Army's Residential Communities Initiative passed by Congress in 1996. Fort Meade is one of four pilot sites for RCI -- the Army has awarded contracts to developers for Fort Lewis, Wash., Fort Hood, Texas, and Fort Carson, Colo.

The program calls for overhauling substandard housing at military bases nationwide through the lease of Army land to residential developers, who design, build and manage the units. Military personnel use their housing allowances for rent.

More than 300 developers attended a forum on the Fort Meade project last spring. But afterward, many backed off, fearing the project's size and scope would overwhelm their firms. By the July submission deadline, 17 developers had bid on the project.

An Army selection panel determined that three of the bidders did not meet the qualifications to be considered, Hansen said. All three were allowed to protest the panel's decision, and all three did.

In the first case, the Army changed its mind and let the bidder back into the process. In the second, the Army stood by its decision. The Army has not revealed the names of either of those bidders.

The third protester, Community Partnership LLC, took its case all the way to the General Accounting Office, where those who believe a federal government contract is about to be awarded in violation of the law can seek remedy.

Community Partnership is a development team composed of three principal members: the Housing Commission of Anne Arundel County, Archstone Communities and Keating Development Co. Under the bid proposal, Colorado-based Archstone would handle leasing, management and real estate development. Keating, in Bala Cynwyd, Pa., would handle construction. The housing commission was to provide overall leadership and arrange funding.

The Army identified 37 weaknesses in Community Partnership's proposal, according to the GAO report.

Last month, the GAO upheld the Army's decision, and the partnership remains sidelined.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.