At .2 second in OT, Lakers win

No. 8 Lake Clifton steals pass, misses, then connects to top No. 3 Southern, 63-61

Boys basketball

High Schools

January 31, 2001|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

With two seconds left in the four-minute overtime period, Lake Clifton's Tavon Nelson intercepted an inbounds pass intended for Southern's Melvin Scott at midcourt.

Then he bricked it - high off the backboard.

Luckily, however, his teammate Aaron Cook caught the rebound and banked it in with two-tenths of a second left, lifting the No. 8 Lakers (12-3 overall, 3-1 league) to a come-from-behind, 63-61 victory at third-ranked Baltimore City League rival Southern (13-4, 3-1).

"I saw the ball coming to me and just went for it," said Cook, who scored a team-high 17 points. "Dropped right into my hands, man, two feet away. I was real lucky."

With 1:08 left in regulation, Antonio Regis (14 points) had given Lake Clifton its first lead, 50-49, on a three-pointer. But then Scott (25 points) made a three-pointer to tie it at 54 with two seconds left, forcing overtime.

Regis immediately fouled out after sending Southern's Damion Spence (13 points) to the line for two free throws and a 56-54 lead with 3:26 to go.

Down 58-54, the Lakers made it 59-all on another three-pointer by Cook. But his teammate, Tarik Johnson was called for charging against Renardo Dickerson (13 points), whose free throws gave Southern its final lead, 61-59, with 18.6 seconds left.

Nelson tied the game on a lay-up in traffic with six seconds remaining, and Southern called a timeout four seconds later. That's when Nelson came up with his game-ending sequence.

"I knew they were going to go to Melvin, so I got as close to him as I could," Nelson said. "When the ball came, I was able to step in front of it. I saw the basket, but I missed. I was glad Aaron got it and was able to put it back in."

Southern coach Meredith Smith was left nearly speechless. "To say anything in regard to the character of our team would be inappropriate," he said.

But his team, minus starter Darshaun Luckey (ankle sprain), led for three periods. Lake Clifton faced a 43-32 deficit with 6:42 left in regulation before outscoring Southern, 10-3.

"We were missing, weren't sure we were going to win, but we just kept shooting it," said Regis, who finished with 14 points. "Of all the games I've ever played, this is the best. I've never, ever been involved in a game like this."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.