Rescuers unable to revive dog pulled from Lerch Creek A...


January 30, 2001

Rescuers unable to revive dog pulled from Lerch Creek

A German shepherd pulled from the icy water of Lerch Creek in Galesville died early yesterday, despite lifesaving efforts by county firefighters and paramedics.

The rescuers performed CPR and intubated the dog - forcing small amounts of oxygen through a tube into its lungs - after they pulled the dog onto the shore of the West River tributary about 1:30 a.m., said Division Chief John M. Scholz.

"They did everything they could," said Peter Bell, who was awakened by the yelps of his neighbor's stranded pet and called for help when he couldn't coax the dog to shore. "It was very professional."

The emergency workers were able to pull the dog, whose name was Abe, from the water using a boat hook around its collar.

They consulted with a local veterinary hospital during their resuscitation attempts, Scholz said.

County fire personnel often try to save pets trapped inside burning homes. During a Jan. 15 fire at a rowhouse in Brooklyn Park, paramedics resuscitated a cat with oxygen.

Hispanic community meeting to be held tomorrow

The City of Annapolis will hold a Hispanic community meeting at 7 p.m. tomorrow at the Griscomb Building at Truxtun Park, off Hilltop Lane.

The meeting, part of a "City Hall Comes to You" series, will be conducted in Spanish and English.

Mayor Dean L. Johnson, city department heads and staff will be present to hear and discuss community concerns. Bilingual Circuit Judge Michael E. Loney will provide information on the judicial system.

Other featured speakers will include: Kris Powell, director of wellness services for Anne Arundel Medical Center, and Laura Weidner, director for integrated reading and the English as a second language program at Anne Arundel Community College.

Bus service will be provided, running continuously from 6:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. between the Allen Apartments on Forest Drive and the meeting place.

After the meeting, the bus will return to the Allen Apartments and serve West Street on request, the city announced.

Brooklyn Park man tries to hang self in jail cell

A 20-year-old Brooklyn Park man tried to hang himself in a Northern Anne Arundel County police district cell yesterday, authorities confirmed.

The man - whose identity was not divulged - was found lying on the floor, with thermal underwear tied around his neck and to the bars of the cell, said Officer Charles Ravenell, a department spokesman.

Department policy requires officers to check on suspects in district lockups every 30 minutes. The prisoner had been there 15 minutes when an officer leaving the station noticed him on the floor and untied the noose, Ravenell said.

The man, who was taken into custody on a narcotics violation but had not been formally charged, was taken to North Arundel Hospital for observation about noon, police said.

Ravenell said the man had not threatened to kill himself or expressed suicidal intentions when he was taken into custody. He added that the narcotics charges were pending.

Woman remains in hospital from Jan. 18 arson burns

A 64-year-old woman who was burned in an arson and shooting this month at her family's Glen Burnie-area townhouse, remained hospitalized yesterday.

Rhunette J. Fisk, 64, was listed in fair condition at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center Burn Center, according to a hospital spokeswoman.

Her grandson, Andre Darnell Samuel, 26, died after the shooting and fire Jan. 18. Lying in the back of an ambulance, hours from death, Samuel told paramedics and police the name of a suspect in the shooting of Samuel and his mother as they fled their smoke-filled townhouse.

His mother, Janie Samuel, was released from the hospital after being treated for gunshot wounds.

Kevin Hartford Bass, 28, of the 2100 block of Tucker Lane in Baltimore was arrested and charged Jan. 19 in the killing and arson.

Police are investigating whether anyone else was involved in the incident, said Officer Charles Ravenell, a police spokesman.

2 in dirt-bike collision released from hospital

Two Pasadena teens injured in a head-on collision during the weekend while riding dirt bikes were released from the hospital yesterday.

The teens, who were not wearing helmets, were injured Saturday afternoon in a wooded area of the Chesterfield Garden community near Newcomb Court, police said.

Although anyone younger than age 16 is required by state law to wear a helmet while riding a bicycle on public property, including roads, parks or trails, neither youth was charged, police said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.