Richard A. Cooper, 73, company controller Richard A...

Deaths Elsewhere

January 28, 2001

Richard A. Cooper, 73, company controller

Richard A. Cooper, a former controller for Merchants Terminal Corp., died of cancer Thursday at his home in Timonium. He was 73 and had lived in the Springlake development for 40 years.

A native of Hampstead, Mr. Cooper enlisted in the Coast Guard in 1944, then worked for Merchants Terminal Corp. for 47 years, retiring in 1993. He joined the Baltimore cold-storage warehousing firm as an accountant when it was an ice-and-coal business known as Hoffberger's.

He was married in 1947 to Nita Robertson.

Mr. Cooper earned his degree in accounting from the University of Baltimore. He enjoyed golf and gardening.

Services were held yesterday at Lemmon Funeral Home of Dulaney Valley in Timonium, with burial at Dulaney Valley Memorial Gardens.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by two sons, Richard A. Cooper Jr. of Kingsport, Tenn., and John T. Cooper of Ellicott City; a daughter, Deborah R. Medoff of Ellicott City; and eight grandchildren. A daughter, Janet Cooper Hartman, died in 1989.

Kirkor Sekercan, 76, GBMC anesthesiologist

Kirkor Sekercan, a retired anesthesiologist at Greater Baltimore Medical Center, died Wednesday of heart failure at Gilchrist Center for Hospice Care. He was 76 and lived in Hampton.

Born in Istanbul, Turkey, Dr. Sekercan served as an officer in the Turkish Army and earned his medical degree from Istanbul University in 1952. He was married in 1956 to Jeannette Chirinian, who survives him.

Dr. Sekercan came to the United States and served his residency in Boston before moving to Baltimore in the late 1950s. After obtaining his medical license in 1959, Dr. Sekercan practiced at the Women's Hospital in Baltimore, which later became GBMC, where he continued for another 31 years until retiring in 1991.

He was a member of St. Mary's Armenian Apostolic Church in Washington, and he enjoyed computers, electronics and gardening.

A Mass of Christian burial was celebrated yesterday at Immaculate Conception Church in Towson.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by two sons, Gregory Sekercan of Timonium and John David Sekercan of Potomac; two daughters, Lisa J. Thurin of Timonium and Cindy J. Sellmayer of Jarrettsville; and seven grandchildren.

The family suggested that memorial contributions be made to the St. Mary's Armenian Apostolic Church Orphans' Fund, 4125 Fessenden St. N.W., Washington, D.C. 20016.

James Burgess Condon, 93, employee of BGE

James Burgess Condon, a retired Baltimore Gas & Electric Co. employee and outdoorsman, died Thursday of congestive heart failure aboard a helicopter that was taking him to Baltimore from Cumberland for medical treatment. He was 93.

The former Randallstown resident, who had lived at Deep Creek Lake since 1992, retired in 1970 from BGE, where he had been in the commercial service and contracts department for 40 years. He was an active member of the BGE Retirees' Association.

Born and raised in Taylorsville, he was a graduate of Carroll County public schools. He enjoyed fishing, hunting and also was an avid gardener.

A musician, he enjoyed playing the E-flat horn, a tuba-like instrument, with the Taylorsville Coronet Band.

He was a member of Taylorsville United Methodist Church.

Services were held yesterday at Burrier-Queen Funeral Home, 1212 W. Liberty Road in Winfield.

He is survived by his wife of 59 years, the former Virginia Welsh; a son, Burgess James Condon of Ellicott City; a sister, Ruth E. Shaw of Taylorsville; a granddaughter; and two great-granddaughters.

John P. Meyer, 73, NSA employee

John P. Meyer, a retired employee of the National Security Agency at Fort Meade, died Monday of heart failure at his home in Severna Park. He was 73.

Born in Baltimore, Mr. Meyer was a 1949 graduate of Polytechnic Institute and later studied industrial engineering at the Johns Hopkins University. He was stationed in Germany during the Korean War with the Army Signal Corps.

Mr. Meyer was a fan of Baltimore professional football. He was a member for 45 years of St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Glen Burnie and sang in its choir. Services were held there Friday, with burial at Cedar Hill Cemetery in Brooklyn.

Mr. Meyer is survived by his wife of 45 years, the former Marjorie Reechel of Severna Park; three sons, John P. Meyer Jr. of Glen Burnie, Paul T. Meyer of Severna Park and David M. Meyer of Churchville; a brother, Thomas E. Maxon of Baltimore; and three grandchildren.

The family suggested that contributions be made to St. Paul's Lutheran Church Building on the Rock, 308 Oak Manor Drive, Glen Burnie 21061.

Thomas T. Taylor Sr., 57, securities firm president

Thomas Tyler Taylor Sr., a stockbroker and president of Chesapeake Securities Research Corp., died Monday of heart failure at a store near his home in Cockeysville. He was 57.

Mr. Taylor, who founded his firm in Towson in 1983, spent more than 30 years in the securities business.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.