Democracy scores with online vote

Cyber Spud

January 26, 2001|By Michael Stroh | Michael Stroh,SUN STAFF

While it may take years before Americans can elect a president online, football fans get to do the next-best thing this year: help decide who gets to be the Super Bowl's Most Valuable Player.

In addition to offering coverage of team news conferences and chitchat with football greats and not-so-greats, Superbowl.com will become an online polling station come Sunday.

Until now, the game's MVP was chosen by an elite panel of 15 media muckety-mucks (a group that time and again has egregiously ignored Cyberspud requests to join its ranks).

This year, however, the muckety-mucks' MVP selection will count for just 80 percent of the total vote. The other 20 percent will be determined by the beer-bloated, chip-choked masses -- aka youse guys.

Voting will commence at halftime and will end with the game's final horn. The winner, who will not only receive a hulking trophy, but a 2001 Ford F-series truck, will be announced right after the game on CBS Sports.

Now if only the NFL would come up with a way online fans could vote for their favorite cheerleader. Cyberspud would be very pleased, indeed.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.