Dunbar tops Randallstown at line

Late free throws lift Poets to 57-55 victory

Mayor's Basketball Academy girls

January 21, 2001|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,SUN STAFF

The seventh-ranked Dunbar girls basketball team got into a free-throw-shooting contest in the fourth quarter of last night's game with No. 6 Randallstown and won -- barely.

Tiffany Jones hit two free throws with 30 seconds left to lift the Poets past the Rams, 57-55, at the fifth annual Mayor's Basketball Academy at the Coppin Center.

The junior point guard, who scored 11 of her 19 points in the fourth quarter, hit seven free throws in the quarter. The Poets went 10-for-16 from the line in the quarter, while the Rams were 5-for-10.

After Jones' layup off a steal gave the Poets a 55-53 lead with 1:51 left, the Rams' Ravin Chase and Maria Fisk each missed two free throws before Jones nailed hers. Their teammate, Teresa Fallin, also missed a layup.

"In the last five minutes, we missed some crucial baskets in a game we should have won," said Rams coach Anthony Knox, whose team missed at least a half-dozen layups in the first quarter. "But I can't complain too much. They're state champs, and we played hard."

After Jones hit her free throws, the Rams (10-3) had two chances to tie but missed both shots. Off the second miss, Poets forward Tiara Little grabbed the rebound and the Rams did not score again until Chase nailed a put-back with two seconds remaining.

The game was close throughout, although Dunbar built a brief 20-9 lead in the second quarter. The Rams closed with excellent play from their guards. Shanel Knox gave the Rams their first lead, 34-32, midway through the fourth quarter on back-to-back baseline 20-footers.

The Rams stayed ahead until Jones led the free-throw shooting comeback in the fourth quarter.

Jones said the Poets (11-3) were not expecting as much of a game from the Rams, who gave a lackluster performance Thursday in the Mayor's Academy opener and got clobbered by No. 5 St. Frances, 72-30.

"We kind of underestimated them," Jones said. "In the second half, we realized they really wanted to play, so we played hard. Their inside game was very aggressive, so we put a lot of pressure on their guards and then they couldn't get it in to the post."

Chase, 6 feet 1, and Fallin, 6-3, combined for 24 points and 25 rebounds, with Chase contributing 15 of those points and 17 boards.

Dunbar's edge came on the outside behind Jones and Toni Kennedy (11 points).

No. 5 St. Frances 78, Western Tech 27: The Panthers (14-3) overwhelmed the undermanned Wolverines, scoring the first 10 points and running the margin as high as 41-7 late in the first half.

Brooke Campbell led the Panthers with 13 points. All-Metro point guard LaTonya Blue contributed nine points, 11 rebounds, eight assists and six steals.

The Wolverines struggled without 6-foot starters Jacqueline Pundt and Danielle Jenkins, both sidelined with knee injuries. The team was also without coach Heather DeWees, who could not make the trip from her Westminster home because of the ice.

Western Tech senior guard Shannon Chase scored a game-high 15 points, but the Wolverines had no inside game.

Newport 60, No. 11 Western 49: After surrendering the first 10 points of the game, the Doves (6-3) rallied to take a 15-14 lead late in the first quarter, but they could not maintain the momentum.

The Tigers opened the second quarter with a 12-1 run, and the Doves never got closer than 11 points. The Doves had more trouble matching up with 6-4 center Andrea Jones, who got in early foul trouble but scored 15 and grabbed 11 rebounds.

Janell Hughes scored 16 for the Doves.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.