Aberdeen proves it belongs, but falls to Dunbar, 70-66

No. 3 Eagles can't hold lead in second half

Walbrook, L. Clifton win

Mayor's Basketball Academy

High Schools

January 20, 2001|By Derek Toney | Derek Toney,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

Despite Aberdeen's No. 3 ranking, some wondered whether the Eagles truly belonged there because their victories over top-10 teams Walbrook, Lake Clifton and St. Frances came at home.

Last night, the Eagles traveled down Interstate 95 to Coppin Center in the Mayor's Basketball Academy tournament, where waiting for them was the history and tradition of No. 7 Dunbar.

The Eagles showed they're one of the area's best, but they couldn't slow the surging Poets, falling 70-66, in what could be a prelude to a March meeting in the Class 2A state tournament.

Senior point guard Kenny Minor scored 19 points to lead Dunbar (12-1), and junior shooting guard James Taylor added 18. Teon Edwards led Aberdeen with a game-high 21 points.

"We didn't want to win, we expected to win," said Aberdeen coach Richard Hart, whose team will meet top-ranked Southern-Baltimore in the finale at 9 tonight. "We're aware of the talent on the Dunbar team, but we're aware of the talent on our team. We felt like if we played our brand of basketball, it's going to be hard to beat us."

The Eagles (11-2) showed they were more than a match for Dunbar, leading by as many as seven points in the second half, but were hurt by a couple of miscues in the final seconds.

The Poets led 67-64 with 25 seconds left after two free throws by Taylor. Gary Neal, Aberdeen's leading scorer, lost the ball near the Eagles' bench with 15 seconds left. Neal had 13 points, but was held scoreless in the second half.

Dunbar missed an opportunity to seal the outcome when Steve Miller missed two one-and-one opportunities from the foul line. Jason Peterson got the rebound for the Eagles, but the ball was knocked away and Dunbar regained possession.

A basket by Edwards with three seconds left made it 68-66 before Taylor broke away for a layup for the game's final margin.

"With them being ranked ahead of us, we were feeling like we were the underdogs," Minor said. "We felt like we had nothing to lose. We just came out here and played. We felt like they had more to lose."

Robinson, coming off an knee injury, finished with 16 points for Dunbar while Holmes kept Aberdeen in contention, scoring 11 of his 14 points in the fourth.

No. 2 Walbrook 58, Dunbar-D.C. 55: The Warriors played perhaps their worst game of the season, but overcame a seven-point fourth quarter deficit to stop Dunbar of Washington (9-6).

Steve Woodard scored 15 points to lead the Warriors (12-1), and junior All-City/County guard Daevon Haskins scored eight of his 14 in the final period.

The Warriors trailed 49-44 with 3:34 left before pulling even at 49 on a layup by Woodard. Haskins tied it again at 51 with two minutes remaining, starting a 6-0 run to help Walbrook gain control.

The Warriors today will face defending D.C. champion Spingarn, ranked No. 6 in the Washington area.

No. 9 Lake Clifton 70, Spingarn 64: The Lakers (9-3) nearly blew a 16-point third-quarter advantage before holding off Spingarn.

Tarik Johnson and Tavon Nelson each scored 20 points to lead Lake Clifton. Mikail Malik led all scorers with 24 for Spingarn (13-5).

No. 1 Southern-Baltimore 86, Ballou-D.C. 70: The Bulldogs (10-3) bounced back from its loss to Dunbar and win in the finale.

North Carolina-bound guard Melvin Scott led all scorers with 18 points for the Bulldogs. Daryl Morrow led Ballou (11-6) with 17 points.


No. 11 Western 70, Western Tech 25: Rolanda Brown scored 16 points and sophomore Jemell Hughes added 14 as the Doves (6-2) rolled past Western Tech.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.