William H. Sheridan, 79, worked for defense agency...

Deaths Elsewhere

January 12, 2001

William H. Sheridan, 79, worked for defense agency

William H. Sheridan, a retired lawyer who worked for the Defense Intelligence Agency for more than two decades, died Jan. 2 of myelodysplastic syndrome, a rare blood disorder, at University of Maryland Medical Center. He was 79 and lived in Dagsboro, Del.

In 1963, Mr. Sheridan, a former lawyer for the United Mine Workers of America, began working for the DIA in Arlington, Va., where his duties were classified. He retired in 1984.

A native of Troy, N.Y., where he graduated from high school, he earned a bachelor's degree from Mount St. Mary's College in Emmitsburg in 1943. His uncle, Monsignor John L. Sheridan, was president of the college from 1936 to 1961.

During World War II, Mr. Sheridan served in the Navy as a lieutenant aboard the USS Rio Grande and the USS Mispillion.

After his discharge, he enrolled in Georgetown University's law school. He received a law degree in 1948.

Plans for a memorial service were incomplete yesterday.

He is survived by his wife of 52 years, Gwen McDonald Sheridan; two sons, Michael L. Sheridan of Chantilly, Va., and Christopher W. Sheridan of Bethany Beach, Del.; a daughter, Heather L. Sheridan, also of Bethany Beach; and a sister, Elizabeth Folan of Albany, N.Y.

Bessie E. Truiett, 100, housekeeper, liked cooking

Bessie E. Truiett, a retired housekeeper well known in her West Baltimore neighborhood, died in her sleep Thursday at FutureCare Homewood. She was 100.

Mrs. Truiett led a vigorous life until she moved to the Homewood nursing home two years ago.

She enjoyed preparing sweet potato dishes, baking cakes and making her special buttermilk eggnog, which she enlivened with nutmeg and a "dash of rum and brandy" and lovingly served to family and friends, relatives said.

"She always had a big smile and lots of tender loving care. She was such a caring person. She'd help anyone inside or outside of her family who needed assistance," said Sylvia M. Parmlee, a granddaughter who lives in West Baltimore.

Called "Miss Bessie" by her neighbors, she was a regular fixture on her rowhouse steps in the 800 block of N. Monroe St., in warmer weather. "Every summer evening at 6 p.m. she'd be there all dressed up wearing her pearl necklace and talking with her neighbors," said Mrs. Parmlee.

Bessie E. Johnson was born and reared in West Baltimore and attended Baltimore public schools. She worked as a nursing assistant at the old Women's Hospital on Bolton Hill for several years before working as a housekeeper for 45 years. She retired in 1967.

She was married in 1915 to Phillip Alexander Truiett; he died in the late 1960s.

She had been a member for 65 years of Douglas Memorial Community Church, where services were held Wednesday.

She is survived by a son, Clarence Truiett of Baltimore; three daughters, Bessie Christopher, Dorothy Jones and Gwendolyn Brown, all of Baltimore; 13 other grandchildren; 46 great-grandchildren; 60 great-great grandchildren; and three great-great-great grandchildren.

Doris L. Teague, 80, security guard, volunteer

Doris L. Teague, a former corrections employee and security guard for Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Maryland, died Monday of heart failure at Ivy Hall Geriatric and Rehabilitation Center in Middle River. She was 80.

Mrs. Teague was a member of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Maryland's security detail at its former East Joppa Road headquarters in Towson from 1975 until she retired in 1987 with the rank of lieutenant. She also had worked as a matron at the Baltimore City Jail from 1955 until 1975.

A longtime Hamilton resident, the former Doris Linaburg was born and raised in Hampden. She attended Baltimore public schools. In 1938, she was married to Charles R. Teague, a former Baltimore police officer. He died in 1995.

For years, Mrs. Teague crocheted hats for those in need. Because of her efforts, she received a WJZ-TV Channel 13 Salute in 1987. She also enjoyed barbecuing and making cheesecake and chili sauce.

A memorial service will be held at 4 p.m. Sunday at Towson Presbyterian Church, 400 W. Chesapeake Ave., Towson.

A daughter, Beverly M. Flayhart, died in 1991.

Mrs. Teague is survived by two daughters, Jean P. DiPietrantonio of White Marsh and Joan R. McMahon of Pocomoke City; a sister, Geneva Fidler of Harford County; seven grandchildren; and 15 great-grandchildren.

Phyllis Barry, 80, travel consultant

Phyllis Burch Mollett Barry, a former Baltimore travel consultant who survived a U-boat's torpedo attack during World War II, died Saturday of an aneurysm at the Gilchrist Center for Hospice Care in Towson. She was 80.

A longtime resident of Highfield House in Guilford, Mrs. Barry had been living at the Brighton Gardens Assisted Living Community in Riderwood.

After working as an assistant to a Johns Hopkins University physicist for several years, Mrs. Barry worked for the Walker-Wilson Travel Agency in Baltimore before opening her first successful travel agency on Monument Street near Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.