No. 6 Rams upend Millers, 48-47

No. 15 Milford Mill suffers 1st league loss in 5 years

Girls basketball

High Schools

January 11, 2001|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,SUN STAFF

Randallstown forward Ravin Chase scored just eight points last night, but the last six gave the No. 6 Rams the biggest win of the senior's career.

In the final three minutes of the game, Chase hit two layups and two free throws to lift the Rams to a 48-47 victory over No. 15 and five-time defending Baltimore County champion Milford Mill. The Millers had not lost a game in the county league in five years.

Early in a physical county Division I battle, the visiting Rams (8-1, 5-0) managed little with their inside game as Millers Timmena Wilkins, Tamika Rogers and Folake Adeyemo covered 6-foot-1 Chase and 6-3 Teresa Fallin.

But after the Millers had erased a 15-point, mid-third-quarter Rams lead and pulled ahead 46-42 with 3:20 left, point guard Crystal Gibson knew Chase was the go-to-player.

"It's only a matter of time," said Gibson. "You could hold her down for three or three and a half quarters, but when it's crunch time, we get it in to her. We know she's going to make the shot or she's going to get fouled."

Chase's first layup cut the lead to 46-44 with 2:57 to go. Both teams missed a succession of shots over the next minute and a half before Wilkins grabbed her sixth steal of the game, missed her shot and was fouled on the follow attempt. She hit the second shot to go up 47-44.

Gibson then fed Chase to pull within 47-46 with 1:14 to go. Wilkins, who struggled with cramps in her calves the entire second half, missed both shots in the double bonus with 53 seconds left. Five seconds later, Chase nailed both ends of a one-and-one for a game-winning 48-47 score.

The Millers also struggled with the clock. First, the 30-second clock did not start while the game clock ran down to 24.3 seconds. After the shot clock was reset to seven seconds, the Millers (4-4, 2-1) could not get a shot off in time.

With 1.4 seconds left on the game clock, the Millers set up to inbound the ball from the baseline, but the buzzer sounded before the ball was put in play. After another reset, Rogers sent the ball to Wilkins, whose 10-footer glanced off the front of the rim."[The clock problems] take the momentum out of the game," said Wilkins. "Every time we get pumped up, there's a problem with the clock. It's hard to stay focused. It just wasn't meant to be for us to win. I'm not going to make a lot of excuses."

Early on, the Rams built their big lead with their outside shooting. Guards Gibson, Shanell Knox and Shaqhuan Chambers combined for 25 points.

"They came out and doubled down on us low, because they knew we had a good inside presence," said Gibson. "We had to attack the middle and kick the ball outside. We knew we could get the shots. We just had to knock them down."

Said Rams coach Anthony Knox: "I've told the girls that to be a champ, you've got to beat the champ."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.