Mount St. Joe knocks off No. 3 Towson Catholic

Owls' Stevenson suffers broken arm in 63-46 loss

Boys basketball

High Schools

January 10, 2001|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

Mount St. Joseph's J.J. Outlaw scored 14 of his 21 points in the decisive third period, including four three-pointers, and Kevin Mickens scored all eight of his points in the fourth in a 63-46 victory at third-ranked, Catholic League rival Towson Catholic last night.

Mickens, 6 feet 8, also had 10 rebounds.

Also playing well for 13th-ranked Mount St. Joseph (13-4, 2-2) was 6-5 Anthony Fair with 11 points.

The game was halted for nearly 30 minutes after 6-7 Towson Catholic sophomore Matt Stevenson, called for a charge during a collision, subsequently fell and broke his left forearm. Stevenson was taken off the court by stretcher and moved by ambulance to Greater Baltimore Medical Center, where it will be determined whether he needs an operation.

Darren Hopkins (15 points) and Justin Miles (10 points) led the Owls (10-3, 1-2), who played their second game without 6-7 Carmello Anthony and 6-8 Byron Joynes. Anthony, out for disciplinary reasons according to athletic director Colleen Cox, has been cleared by the administration to return as early as Tuesday's game against McDonogh.

She said the return of Joynes, who is academically ineligible, may take longer.

"They're short-handed. You hate to see anybody in that position, but you still have to come out and play, and I think we did that in the second half," said Mount St. Joseph coach Pat Clatchey. "J.J. got hot, started hitting some shots. We kind of mixed their defenses up with a three-quarters-court press, got some steals and turnovers. The zone, once we got a 12-, 15-point lead, kind of slowed them down."

St. Joe was ahead 12-9 after one period and 29-21 after two. Outlaw scored his team's first eight points of the second half and wound up with 14 of his team's 18 points in the third quarter. The Gaels entered the fourth period with enough points - and a 47-31 lead - to have won the game.

"We were on an 8-2 run when Matt went down. It's tough, doing good for a while there. But when it rains, it pours," said Towson Catholic coach Mike Daniel. "Not making any excuses, they did a good job. We just have to go with what we've got and regroup."

Stevenson seemed to be just getting started when his injury occurred shortly before halftime.

After a scoreless first half, Stevenson scored two field goals and went 2-for-3 at the line in the second period. He was breaking toward the basket when he made contact with a Mount St. Joseph player and was called for charging.

When he fell to the ground, he was in obvious pain.

Darren Hopkins went 5-for-7 from the free-throw line, and his brother, Darnell, added eight points.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.