Cobras overtake Fallston in opener

Harford Tech captures seven straight bouts

Crouch clinches win


High Schools

January 04, 2001|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

Harford Tech won seven straight bouts for a commanding 24-point lead, and Travis Crouch (171) clinched a 30-20 victory for the 13th-ranked Cobras with a major decision over Fallston's Brian Hirsch in the Harford County League opener for both squads last night at Harford Tech.

Down 3-0 after 14th-ranked Fallston's Chris Baum (103) edged Brad Dryer, the winning spree gave the Cobras (4-1, 1-0) a 27-3 lead with three bouts left. Fallston is 10-1.

The sweep included three one-point decisions, and pins by Tom Conlon (125) and James Brown (140). Conlon led 10-2 before decking J.C. Cropf (8-3) in 2:29, and Brown overcame a 2-0 deficit and led 12-6 before finishing Matt Britton (8-2) in 5:46.

While a 10-1 rout by Crouch closed the deal, Harford Tech's lower weights laid the groundwork as Mike Taylor (112), Dan Beury (130), Andy Gibson (145) and fifth-ranked wrestlers Gary Andrezejewski (119) and Brian Owens (135) all earned grueling decisions.`The bottom line is that we're stacked down low and we're pretty decent in the middle. Our kids overcame some questionable calls from the referee," said Gary Siler, whose wrestlers were penalized for stalling in four of the first five bouts. "They [Fallston] were better than when we scrimmaged them earlier, but I told you in the beginning of the night, I had nothing to worry about."

Taylor led 11-1 over Drew Beck en route to an 11-4 victory. Andrezejewski (9-1) needed a takedown with 23 seconds left to break a 4-4 tie en route to a 6-5 win over John Yu.

Beury scored an 8-3 victory over previously unbeaten Nathan Bachman (9-1), Owens moved to 10-0 with a come-from-behind 8-7 win over Matt Ballard (8-3), and Gibson won, 9-8, over Matt Britton (8-2).

Fallston's only other winners were Tony Hughes (152, 11-0), with a 23-second pin, Chris Schiesser (189) with a third-period pin, Rick Howley (160, 10-1) with a 5-2 decision and heavyweight Alan Lynch (9-2) with an 8-7 double overtime upset of fifth-ranked James Watson (8-2). Both teams were penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Lynch trailed 4-1 entering the final period, where he scored a five-point takedown and another two-point takedown with seven seconds left in regulation to make it 7-7. He escaped 10 seconds into double-overtime.

"We practice real hard, and the coaches pushed us for three-hour practice over the holidays," Owen said. "We've been looking forward to this match since last year, when we lost in the last match."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.